Hardware EQ for tracking?

Thared33

Aug 16, 2002
Do any of you run through a hardware EQ when tracking heavy guitars? I'm sure it beats using software EQ just because you can take care of the problem at the source. I want to shoot for getting as close as possible to the end result so I'm thinking a hardware EQ may be something I should look into.

EQ before the recording is usually a big no no, since once it is recorded, you can't undo the eq. The only thing you should have between your mic and interface is the Mic Pre and you have to be sure to not overcok that too, because if you do, well you already know.

EQ before the recording is usually a big no no, since once it is recorded, you can't undo the eq. The only thing you should have between your mic and interface is the Mic Pre and you have to be sure to not overcok that too, because if you do, well you already know.

If you've got a solid hardware EQ, it'll add a good bit of character to the tone.

If you've got a solid hardware EQ, it'll add a good bit of character to the tone.

That's actually what I was alluding to. It isn't to necessarily high pass, low pass, cut where need etc, it's more for kicking it up a notch at the source and then having a more powerful source track on your hands.

Exactly... you're going to get some much different harmonic content from a hardware eq pre-DAW than you will with an emulation ITB.

IIRC, the Amek 9098 was popular for rhythm gtrs on here for a bit.

If you have a good sounding eq or board the only thing stopping you is fear of commitment. Drums in particular I'll eq some if I'm on a board.
Regarding guitars, there is a great old slipperman diatribe where he discusses eq'ing to tape.

I always use EQ if I feel it needs it. I would much rather use a 4000 $ GML to do some sculpting at the source then a plugin later. Especially cause most analog eq's add something that I can't really describe....mojo?

I think the key to OTB eq in general, is to know what you're doing, commit, and be sparing. I remember using a pultec on a clean guitar part once, and it sounded awesome when I boosted a little 100 and 8k.....the more I boosted the better it sounded.....next thing you know I have printed a guitar part with 8db of 8k!

Go easy, and be smart and it'll do wonders for your recorded parts...if it needs it.

as far as eq's that are good here's a list of the ones I like. some expensive some not:

GML 8200
API 550a or 550b
Neve 1073/1081/1084/1066
Summit Pultec Copy
Tube Tech Pultec Copy
Focusrite Red EQ

i use to set a low cut to the direct signal,
and then add the bass later.
helps to get rid of mud and stuff!