Hardware on the mix buss. Still worth it?

My awesome new desk (here) has me massively craving some new gear. I'm thinking about adding a hardware mixbuss comp and maybe an EQ. I get a lot of my sound from color plugins like the UAD 4k comp and Massive Passave and I'm wondering if actual hardware units would take it to the next level.

Those of you that have had both for a while, what do you find yourself using most often? Are the hardware units a definitive improvement, or is it more a preference in workflow?

Im curious about this also. I too have tossed around the idea of picking up a sweet ssl style comp. People have done shootouts between hardware 1176's vs the CLA plugins and I dont hear a huge improvement in sound, more like minute differences imo. Makes me wonder if its a workflow thing most folks are attracted to with outboard.

i had the same question a few months ago when i was building my mixing rig. I went to GS and heard a few A/B tests or real G buss comps against the plugins. And i was disappointed at how close the plugin was to the hardware unit.

But then again, it's about the subtle things that make the difference, even if it's by 3% with a G comp, another 5% with a real pultec, etc. (you get the idea)

There are some great mix-buss plugs out there, but there's something about a great hardware comp that's just easier to deal with. Lately I've fallen in love with the Daking FET III - TRY to make it sound bad on the mix buss.

24 channel analog summing + XRACK GSSL COMP + PULTEC with Lundahls

my mixes feel more alive than ever. i will never ever go back again !

Honestly, I think you'd be happy with any style SSL G-Comp style clone...

For individual tracks, and the more analog compressors and EQ's we get, I find I can get almost exactly the same 'reward' from either. Sure, the HW always has a little more vibe but DAMN ITB Plugins are getting close.

NOW, I'm a BIG 2BUSS guy and I'd LOVE to have a hardware G-Comp strapped across my 2BUSS for sure... as far as the EQ side, I think with you having the UAD Massive Passive, etc, you'll be just fine in the department.

Take a look at the Chameleon Labs 7720 or some of the VERY well built Gyraf clones on eBay.... get one, test it out against your plug-ins and see what you like better!

I do have to say though, after getting some of the Duende Native plugs (particularly the G-Comp and Channel Strip) it AMAZES me how close the G-COMP is to the real thing. AMAZING... but still, I lust for ANALOG comps BIG-TIME so, hahaha...

but like I said, recently came to this conclusion after acquiring quite a bit of outboard.... some thing, IMO, are irreplaceable in plug-in land... like the Distressor, posslby 1176, etc... you know, the bread and butter compressors, buttttttttttt.

It's a TOUGH call Dave!

BTW, thanks for the love on Abiotic getting signed to Metal Blade =D

I can not WAIT for the new Cattle Decap, holy SHITT

Fuck yeah! Worth it to me anyway. Nice hardware makes stuff sound 'better' before you even do any actual processing with it, and sounds more natural especially with higher amounts of gain reduction on comps or larger boosts on EQ. If you want send me a track and I'll run it through a nice comp / EQ on the bus so you can compare it to plug-ins yourself.

EDIT: AND not saying plugs aren't great and you can't do great work with them because obviously you can, I like / use both