The Anthrax Reunion Flyer: "I'M WORKING ON IT!"

I said I would at least get done sketches of the flyer, and I went above and beyond that; I have the finished pencils! I still need to sit down and ink everything, but this is a huge step for me. And I decided to document it, too!

IMG_0060.jpg

This is the desk I work at and the actual piece on my desk. For you artist-types out there, here's what I used: BlueLine Pro 11" x 17" 2-ply paper (Basic Comic Book Paper by them) and No. 2/HB Ticonderoga Soft Pencils. They sharpen well and are simply put my weapon of choice when I draw.

IMG_0061.jpg

This is my entire desk. I have as much refrence as possible around for the piece, which is going to feature Scott Ian and Joey Belladona. I did that mainly because people like Scott and people like Joey. If someone see them jamming together, they know it's an Anthrax reunion. I've got photos of each peforming, and there would be problems along the way, which you will see as we move along. You also see the Thrax-Agram logo. I decided to draw it in on the piece itself instead of adding it digitally since I think I could make it look cooler.

IMG_0062.jpg

I thought it would be cool to just show you a little more of my desk. The damn thing is always a mess, and I like having action figuers and stuff around. And there are a ton of books next to my desk in case I need help.

IMG_0064.jpg

Normally, I rarely rely on photo refrences since I like to work from my mind... and this time really wasn't different. I took this photo before I went to work, but I wound up not needing it simply because I had the damn skull anyway! I actually own a human skull made of bone that I've used for refrence time and time again. But I tend to have my own style when drawing skulls. Plus, if I draw my skull too accurately, it looks way too Pushead-esq.

IMG_0069.jpg

I'm not sure if you can actually see well, but this is me when I was kicking some ass! I have Scott Ian drawn already, complete with beard. I started to draw in the guitar and was having problems with the angle. You can also see another circle forming above Scott. That's the beginning of Joey's head.

IMG_0071.jpg

Notice anything difference? Joey's head is now drawn in and a LOT lower than before. I was originally planning on having Joey tilting his head up and singing into the mic, but I thought about all the videos I've seen of him peforming, and decided against it. I used the photo refrence I already had of him holding the mic and stand with both hands. It seems to be his trademark so I went with that.

The problem then became, "Should I do that with Scott? I mean, he isn't acting very Scott-like in this pic!" What I mean by that is he doesn't have his head down when he's playing. He always seems to do that. But it looked to cool for me to change, and I thought it worked.

IMG_0073.jpg

Remember when I was having trouble with the guitar? Well, I decided to take out my Scott Ian Signature Series guitar! After playing a few chords, I worked from it as a refrence to get the angle somewhat right.

IMG_0074.jpg

Almost there! I decided to simply Joey's hair and make it a flat black with highlights instead of freaking out about how curly it was. I worked on Ian's hand some more, but it still isn't there. The other one holding the pic, though, came out fine. Joey's hands were easy to get since they were just bones, and I actually have an easier time drawing bones than the actual hand itself! LOL!

IMG_0075.jpg

Here's a close-up of the piece.

IMG_0076.jpg

Heh, this is it! I finally finished the pencils for the piece at this point and just got done putting about 5 hours into it. I started around 4PM and stopped around 10PM, but I played video games on and off, too. The main problem now is the Anthrax logo. I need to go back and get the logo and adjust it so I can work off it, possibly just trace it. I'd love to have it on if for nothing more than my own personal enjoyment.

You really can get a sense of the lighting. The idea is these guy's are back from hell to kick some ass, so they're undead and have risen from the flames. I have a lot of underlighting in the piece as well. When I start colouring it, they're going to be wearing drak gray t-shirts instead of black. That way, it doesn't cause problem with the hair or all the other black, and the lighting looks better.

As for what will be on the shirts, I'll let you decide. Should I do the Thrax-agram, Not-Man, or a NEW Not-Man? Or maybe nothing at all?

All well, wanted to share my process with all of you. I should have it done soon, so I'll post the revisons then.

IMG_0078.jpg

Good night! :)

LuvataciousSkull said:
Thanks! I actually was incredibly hesitant to draw Joey like that since I had something else in mind. But I really do like how it came out!

I'll get the paper today to ink everything and it might be done in a day or two. :Spin:

Can´t wait to see it! :hotjump:

From one artist to another, when I saw the picture I knew it was "Joey" right away, as you wrote that is the pose he has when he sings.

if nobody minds i think i may throw a poster of my own on here, i'll work on it today and post a scan tomorrow, hopefully there are no objections to this, and yes it'll be a hand drawn piece (i dispise digital art)

The Drawing is sick. However i hate to nit-pick, but the pentathrax was more of a John era design.

H8Red said:
The Drawing is sick. However i hate to nit-pick, but the pentathrax was more of a John era design.

Heh, nit-pick away! ;)

I actually got rid of the Pentathrax from the main logo since I wanted to just have the name of the band. I might bring it back into the design, though. It really grabs your attention, which was important. Plus, it ties in the entire old-meets-new aspect; Joey's back for now, but we still keep John in our thoughts and he'll be back soon.

:)

I really like the Joey skeleton, except doesn't his arm look a little too short? Also, there's something about the Scott skull that dosen't look, well... like Scott.

Sorry to be critical, but as a fellow artist, critiques only make one better!

It looks great! I just talked to Izzy (the management) and we (the street team) should actually be getting official
flyers to use to promote the new CDs and DVDs coming out next month.
I'm going to post this same message in the other thread.