What hardware do you use on the 2bus?

Kita

Feb 25, 2011
I'm setting up my next year or so of purchases and I was going to get a stereo pre, eq, and comp. I wanted the EQ and comp to work double duty for tracking as well as 2bus for mixing, so I was just curious what everybody out there was using on their 2bus, if anything.

Currently what I'm thinking about is either an Aurora GTQ2 which would give me 2 pres/eqs, or 2 channels of the Daking pre/eq for the same thing.

Daking also has a stereo comp that would be useful for tracking as well as 2bus, but I haven't looked into too many other comps yet.

Anyway, slut on about your 2bus gear.

And lets keep it hardware.

Hey, I'm sorry I can't help you with this but I'm curious .... What is a 2bus? I hope that's not a stupid question :p haha

For 2bus duty I would say none of the above. Daking is dark (not a bad thing), are great for tracking on pretty much everything except voice imo. But it wouldn't be that useful for mixing.
Gtq2 would be more useful as tracking combo for close to everything, and you will finf yourself always using eq on insert while mixing.

Now for 2bus duty, as always it vary depending on taste, music genre you mix...etc.
Usual suspect are still the same: ssl g384, smart C1, red3 with tranny mod/blue 230, 33609, DCL200 (never tried this one on 2bus, but work great for vox tracking), ubk fatso (once again, never tried it on 2bus but I know it work great on it) or a 1968.

Mikaël-ange;10367424 said:
For 2bus duty I would say none of the above. Daking is dark (not a bad thing), are great for tracking on pretty much everything except voice imo. But it wouldn't be that useful for mixing.
Gtq2 would be more useful as tracking combo for close to everything, and you will finf yourself always using eq on insert while mixing.

Yeah, the Daking only came up because I used it extensively for tracking bass/guitar/vox/everything but drums when I interned. I know it works great for tracking, I just didn't know how well it would work out for 2bus duties. Weedy says he uses them both for his 2bus so I figured they can't obviously be terrible.

I have never used the GTQ2 but I haven't seen a review yet that hasn't been glowing.

Because I will get 2 comp for 2bus use soon:
-Smart C1: sound closer to the old g384 to me
-red3 with tranny input mod: with tranny on it sound more like a 33609 (work great for fat bottom musical genre), and with tranny off it sound like classic TLA sound (all TLA mix have the red3 sound across, nothing else can give you that... Work great for all modern rock/rock mix).

The prime will be used for drum duty (para drum bus) ;)

I don't have much variety to chose from yet but i use either my JDK R22 or Chameleon Labs 7720. It depends on the source and what kind of vibe i want, but 90% of the time i just go with the 7720 since its basically a ssl bus comp "clone", the JDK is almost always used on drums. Before i had these i would use the Waves SSL bus comp but I've been wanting to stop using Waves plugins and this unit can definitely do the same job and better.

I will probably upgrade to a Prime or GSSL when i get some money but i want to get an 1176 first and i'm in no rush to replace the 7720. It is a good comp for the money, the features are nice and it can be used as a single channel comp for tracking or mixing.