harmonies -ala James Murphy

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
So what's eveyone's opinions on how to harmoniz leads? I love James Murphy's solos, because they're so fluid. I once had an Intellifex because he used one. but i hated programing the intervals in cents. I hated programing the whole thing in general.

I used to use a Boss Harmonist pedal live, but between songs I would have to tell it what scale to play in. It was inconsistent with harmonic minor soloing (which is the scale I use most often) in terms of how it would harmonize the major seventh of the scale, so I got pissed off at it, and having to dial the key in the dark between songs. I sold it on eBay.

I've always manually tracked my harmonies in the studio, and now live I have my other guitarist play them with me (in the past I was the only guitarist.) If one of us is soloing, I have the harmony track coming through in our backing tracks (we play to a click live.)

Kazrog, I'm curious as to what you're using to play your click live. I've thought about using a laptop, but am worried about reliability. If you are doing the laptop thang, what interface are you using, and how are you monitoring it(or sending the outputs)?

I thought the best way to do it was playing it the old fashioned way, but you never know with all the technology that's developed.

One cool thing i did hear was from a buddy of mine. He used a digitech vocalist in his fx loop. he set it for 5 part harmony. 3 in unison and 2 harmony. I only heard him play it once and it sounded really good. his only compaint was turning off all the parameters that "humanized" the harmonies. like individual vibrato setings for all the pitches.

Thanks for the help!
Double thanks for the reply James, keep rockin'

Exsanguis said:
Kazrog, I'm curious as to what you're using to play your click live. I've thought about using a laptop, but am worried about reliability. If you are doing the laptop thang, what interface are you using, and how are you monitoring it(or sending the outputs)?

Well, first off, I use Digital Performer on the 12" PowerBook G4 that I'm currently typing this reply on. The live set consists of various mix stems that go out to a MOTU 828 interface, which sends the following feeds:

Outputs 1-2: Main stereo mix which contains background vocals, keyboards, guitar harmonies, samples, etc. This is fed to our in-ear monitors and to the house.

Output 3: Click feed, sent to in-ear monitors only

Output 4: Bass feed (since we are currently without a bassist) which goes to the house only.

So you need to have in-ear monitors to do this. I highly reccomend them, even if you don't play to a click, they are worth the expense in terms of hearing everything clearly and avoiding onstage mic bleed.

In-ears are a godsend, they sound great, keep stage volume down, and you don't have to move any wedges. If you can afford them, get some, if you can't afford them, quit being a pussy and rob a convenience store.

I never used the in ear monitors!!!

What brands? Model?

HOw do they work? It's a transmitter or you have the damn cable like a leash?

And do them interfere with the guitar wireless frequency?

Any link to know more about it?

Fabbio said:
I never used the in ear monitors!!! What brands? Model?HOw do they work? It's a transmitter or you have the damn cable like a leash? And do them interfere with the guitar wireless frequency? Any link to know more about it?

I myself use the Shure PSM 400 series:

http://www.shure.com/psm/psm400/default.asp

It's the wireless pack which the in-ear monitors themselves connect to. The rackmount transmitter unit can be linked with a mini 4-channel mixer, so it's really versatile. They won't interfere with your guitar wireless if you set things to separate channels. I myself don't use a guitar wireless, not really necesarry in the small venues I play at, plus I am the singer so I am stuck on the mic most of the time.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Kazrog said:
I myself use the Shure PSM 400 series:

http://www.shure.com/psm/psm400/default.asp

It's the wireless pack which the in-ear monitors themselves connect to. The rackmount transmitter unit can be linked with a mini 4-channel mixer, so it's really versatile. They won't interfere with your guitar wireless if you set things to separate channels. I myself don't use a guitar wireless, not really necesarry in the small venues I play at, plus I am the singer so I am stuck on the mic most of the time.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Thanks Kazrog!!!

This is a very interesting choice to make. The price is a little high but I know that it's worth it.

Now you placed the bug in my ear and I KNOW that until december (christmas or so) I will think a lot about purchasing one of these... :loco:

i heard that you need to use a limiter with in ear monitors to prevent damage to your ears. what do you guys do about protecting yourselves when you use in ear monitors. ive never tried them but i would love to since i am a drummer and its nearly impossible to get good sound from wedges with the live sound guys around here.

Kazrog, I'm guessing you're using that 4 channel mixer you mentioned live to combine those various feeds, right? This is a really intriguing idea. I may have to get on this.

unsilpauly - The Shure PSM 400 series has a built in limiter, which is one of the reasons I use it. :)

Exsanguis - yeah the 4-channel mixer helps, but since we have so much stuff going on I also have a Mackie 1402 VLZ pro in my road rack for monitor mixes.

Kazrog said:
unsilpauly - The Shure PSM 400 series has a built in limiter, which is one of the reasons I use it. :)

Exsanguis - yeah the 4-channel mixer helps, but since we have so much stuff going on I also have a Mackie 1402 VLZ pro in my road rack for monitor mixes.

thanx shane, sounds pretty sweet. im gonna look into that.