harmonies

serenesorrow

Asian Woman
Jan 19, 2002
Sydney, Australia
With harmonies in metal what is the most common interval?? 4ths or 3rds?
Any other recommended intervals to experiment with or tips with harmonies? Anything would be good. thanks :D

From what I remember of Iron Maiden's stuff, they were pretty staunch 3rd addicts. Metallica were fond of it, too.

One little trick you can do which often makes a nice sound is to step out of the pattern every few notes.
Let's say you're playing a melody and another guitar player is harmonising by playing a 3rd above. Every 6 or so notes he could play a note that's a 4th above. This gives a much more exotic sound and feel.

We mainly did this stuff when I was in band in school (I played Tuba:D ) but usually someone would play from the middle to the high notes, and someone else would play the same thing from the middle to the low notes, and that sounded pretty cool sometimes, but I dunno how it'd sound on guitar though. Might wanna experiment.

In classical metal bands, such as Maiden 3rds are used extensively, then 5ths. Many Maiden riffs have two guitars playing almost the same thing with a difference of a 3rd or 5th. Really typical sound, and most have connected it to this band. I mean, if you listen to somebody doing this dual solo you'll say 'aha! Maiden', although it's the most common interval in the whole music history!! :)

Originally posted by The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven
We mainly did this stuff when I was in band in school (I played Tuba:D ) but usually someone would play from the middle to the high notes, and someone else would play the same thing from the middle to the low notes, and that sounded pretty cool sometimes, but I dunno how it'd sound on guitar though. Might wanna experiment.

those are paralel harmonies.

the guy that was saying step out of the pattern is nonparallel, ie cool sounding. hehe.
thats about the only way to get intersting harmonies anymore. i'll often try to find a harmony note for each note in the lick. 3rds, 5ths, maybe a 6th and4h. move it around a bit.