Harm's Way - Infestation - Drum Cover Video

Yo! Haven't posted in here in a few years. If any of you OG Sneapsters are still around I'd love to hear from you! I'm still at it here in Sacramento.

Anyway- a buddy of mine recently did a drum cover (and is doing more) at my spot, and my other homie handled video duties while I did sound and lights. Kurt Ballou is one of my biggest influences, so hopefully my drums do it some justice. Been having fun on these sessions seeing how far I can push natural drums and not use any samples, especially fitting an already finished mix around it... If you check out the channel, there's some other stuff I did on there too.

Let me know if you fuck with it, or if you think it's trash- I'm always down for constructive criticism.

I'm always looking for work. Tracking, mixing, edits, reamping- think I can be of any help? Hit me up!

Much love

Instagram @soundheartcollective
www.soundheartcollective.com

Not a fan of overclipped kick Loving that pushed roomy snare though! But I guess that you just put the room track really high and compressed it heavily, that makes cymbals sound compressed to shit.
Also, that right crash is a one huge wash fest. jeez.....

However, in context of a mix it would work well I guess.

I would say this overall sounds good for a drum sound, but I would say that the overheads are very overbearing in the context of a mix. Are you using rooms and overheads? I feel like some of the washy-ness would come out with a narrow notch. But for a drum play through, you want to hear the drums on top of the mix, and I think it sounds very good in that context!

I can see how you'd not really dig the kick, but I was intentionally going for a distorted tape sound. Good amount of Softube Tape and Decapitator going on. 22/23in dark crashes tend to sound washy lol- I'm personally all about the big washy cymbals, and the drummer happened to be as well. Obviously that's not going to work for every application, but I feel like it did in this case. Can't say I agree with the cymbals sounding "compressed to shit" though. Prominent in the rooms, sure, but that'll happen when you just use source tracks and don't supplement with samples. Personal taste I suppose.

Drums were intentionally mixed louder over the song since it's for a play-through, and I personally can't stand drum videos with super loud instrumentals or no play-through drums at all. I wouldn't go that heavy for a final mix haha- Also, that song was a challenge to tuck original drums back far enough so there wasn't any flamming or weird stuff going on, too... After some multiband transient shaping and EQing, it came at the sacrifice of guitar/bass tone/imaging and vocal volume. I didn't really hear much resonating in the low-mids/mids that would have reduced wash. I'll have to look at that next time. There are several instances of Soothe going on, so to my ears it sounds prominent without being harsh.

Maybe I'll upload the multi-tracks when I have time and get your guys' perspectives on it.

Thanks for the feedback!