Has anybody had any experience with guitars built out of 'Alder Wood'?

I think it's sort of like poplar. More mids. Mohagony is going to have more lows, while maple would have more highs.

Some Fenders use alder. Some Washburns.

It's a perfectly good wood. Are going to build a guitar or something?

My bass has an alder body, Fender American Standard P-bass. Being a P-bass it has more low end than you could ever need, but when I slap and pop it has nice mids to it, never harsh. Fairly light-weight. Maple neck and rosewood fretboard if you're curious.

Originally posted by npearce
I think it's sort of like poplar. More mids. Mohagony is going to have more lows, while maple would have more highs.

Some Fenders use alder. Some Washburns.

It's a perfectly good wood. Are going to build a guitar or something?

yeah im getting another RAN custom guitar

Alder - widely used. Like npearce said, Fender uses it a lot (and have for years, since it's a good bodywood). Many of the US Jacksons are also made out of alder wood - the RR for instance.

Many of Jackson's foreign made guitars are built from poplar - I've been told that alder and poplar wood are very similar tonally, but that poplar is cheaper, generally a wee bit lighter and doesn't look as good as alder.

Judging the sound is difficult, but when comparing to mahogany, I think the sound in an alder guitar feels more responsive and distinct (more aggressive attack) - with less bass but still without being too trebly. According to my experience, mahogany gives you warmer, bassy sound and a softer attack signature (which may make it sound fuzzier sometimes).

I'm partial to mahogany, but that's just my personal preference.

'bane