Has anybody had good results from small monitors (Adam A3X, etc)?

electricred

Jan 2, 2012
I want some small monitors for recording with an Axe FX II, using MIDI drums and sounds. I don't feel relaxed or creative sitting at my recording desk, so I want to set up something more comfortable and portable for songwriting and tossing together clips. I worry about bass not being accurate on small monitors, and headphones are out of the question, so what's the best choice for small monitors? I've read great reviews of the A3X and Genelec 8020As, but th A3Xs are closer to budget. Has anybody had any personal experiences with small monitors under 5 inches?

Most of my experience is with 5" and 8" monitors. I've found some smaller monitors may not give even and flat low-end to low-mid-range responses. As ballstix said, the Equator D5s are pretty popular 5"-ers.

5 inches is too big for my uses, although those Equator D5s are apparently coaxial, so that would save on size. I will look up some reviews, thanks for the tip. The price is much cheaper than what I'm willing to spend (600-700 pair), so I don't mind shooting for higher quality if the Equators are lacking anywhere. I need transparency and midrange clarity more than anything. I plan to use the monitors down the road for A/B with my 8" Yamaha HS80Ms, btu for right now it's going to be a simple laptop/Axe FX setup to place on the living room table.

Get some computer speakers with a sub and some headphones that are relatively natural/accurate sounding and call it a day if it is a secondary setup IMO.

Think about how few sources with 5-8" woofers that the music you mix will be listened to on. You can get away with almost any source for mixing as long as you know it ;)

Get some computer speakers with a sub and some headphones that are relatively natural/accurate sounding and call it a day if it is a secondary setup IMO.

Think about how few sources with 5-8" woofers that the music you mix will be listened to on. You can get away with almost any source for mixing as long as you know it ;)

+1.

Why the negativity against using headphones? If it's just going to be for writing and tracking ideas, not so much mixing, get yourself a pair of really comfortable headphones, like Beyer DT250, DT770s or DT880s. They might not be the most accurate (though, they're certainly usable), but they're so comfortable, that you could wear them for hours and not have any fatigue.

I'm not looking for headphones, just compact studio monitors. I own plenty of headphones and do not like using them for mixing purposes. The computer speakers I own are too hyped and don't sound as open as monitors. The bass is too woody and unbearable to listen to critically.

You can get away with almost any source for mixing as long as you know it ;)

+1 If you understand how your mixing environment influences your mix and how it translates to other environments, you can make many of the adjustments needed to get a quality mix. Does it require a bit more work? Probably but if anything, your room matters more than the monitors you use in most cases. Monitors will generally only have an impact on how frequencies translate, your room has impact on the time/spatial translation factors involved. My understanding at least. The more experienced folks can add more.

Another set to look at in the A3x range would be the Focal CMS 40.
I bought a set of M-Audio CX5's for nearly the same reason you have. I love them. I actually like to mix on them as well. I got them super cheap on blowout. They aren't as nice as my Dynaudio's, but my mixes definitely translate better on the CX5's than my HS80's. They are great for writing, editing, etc.

Spec to spec, the A3X and such go down to 60hz, even bigger ones will maybe go down to 50-55hz. So low-end extension is fine. I wouldn't worry about that on any of the models you mentioned.

I originally tried a set of computer speakers and even a set of Roland MA-5's. While they sound great with music and were a great reference even, when writing they were boomy and murky. When you are just thowing down tracks, the low-mids are a mess and the clarity down there is essential. The CX-5's were perfect for the price and how well they do.

So I don't know if it is worth going up as high as Adam, Genelec, and Focal. I would probably just grab some CX-5's if you can find them (were originally in the $1000 per pair range) or some BX-5's or even something cheaper in the $300-$500 range. Or hell even HS-50's. Any of them will be perfect for having around.

Even portability I find that even the smaller ones are still a pain to move around. I would rather have a cheaper pair that I don't care if they get banged around a bit. HS-50's are cool since they have metal mesh protecting the tweeter.

i just have m-audio av-30s, you could try the 40s, but i think they are 50 bucks more. either way, they are pretty okay, and are small, and come with a bass boost switch to help the bass.idk, only 100 bucks, pretty much just computer speakers on a little bit of cocaine