New monitors adam/genelec/cla etc. suggestions needed.

Magnetoculto

New Metal Member
Mar 17, 2021
First off i wanna think everyone who makes this place possible. This my first post.

I've been out of seriously recording for over a decade. So I'm buying new gear. Most important to me are my monitors.(currently using jbl lsr 305) got a new imac and getting a apollo twin x quad. So im good on the converter front. I HAVE A GREAT acoustic space.

MOST IMPORTANTLY BESIDES MIXING. ILL BE USING THESE, TO PLAY/RECORD, AND MONITOR THROUGH AMP PLUGS. AND EVENTUALLY, A AXE FX, OR QUAD CORTEX.

My budget is in the $1500.00 range give or take. I would go a little more if i found a deal on some 8 inch Genelecs. So far im looking at these.

Adam a7x
Various Genelecs
and the avantone cla ns10s
Neumanns etc.

Thanks so much to all

Last edited:
monitors are such a personal preference, and will depend SO much on where and how they are placed.

It’s a fun thing to chat about and it’s good to know what’s out there, but really your best bet is speaking to a music store and anywhere decent will be able to arrange some models to try for yourself. Even the same monitors can sound wildly different depending on where they’re placed so you’ll really have to find what suits you.

I had Adam A7X’s for a while and had no idea how much they were actually holding me back until I switched. I’m currently using Amphion One15’s and checking on ns10’s (with a Bryston 4B) and KRK V8S4’s (extremely underrated).

You’ll generally want to think about their design characteristics and size/power. I generally don’t like ported designs very much (ATC’s have been good and the KRK’s too), and you’ll want to decide how many drivers/what kind of tweeter etc matches what you like.

I always ask how big the space is too.

Average bedroom size you can get away with anything, but the bigger the space is the more you're going to need something with a little more juice.

I have a pair of shitty JBLs that I do a ton of work on because I'm in a tiny room, and then a studio I gut check in has a pair of KRKs and a set of Adam's S3X-H's.

as machinated said, there's a degree of personal preference involved, so if possible listen to some.

Then obviously get REW and place the speakers in your room, adjust, measure, adjust, measure, adjust measure, etc etc etc.

Get the ones you can afford and learn how they translate in the real world. Thats the most honest answer.

But, the higher the quality monitor you buy the less there is a chance for "hype" to be present in certain areas of the signal reproduction.

$1500? Neumann KH120s any day of the week. They are damn near ruler flat and they are generally pretty relaxed about room weirdness (well... anything above the modal region, ofc) compared to most, especially those that don't have a waveguide (or a good implementation thereof).

Genelecs, the only ones I like are the 1031s. The curved box ones all sound weird to me.
Can't stand A7Xs, they sound like a cheap hi-fi (i.e. all upper bass boom and treble sizzle, no mids to speak of).