New monitors Adam A7x or A8x ?

~BURNY~

Apr 20, 2005
I am on the market to buy new mid priced monitors to replace my old trusty first gen Bx8.
Well actually not replace but compliment since I have no intention to sell the Bx8 yet.
Of course I wish I could afford K&H or Opals but I need to put food in my stomach as well.:zombie: Go figure.
Going to a store and auditoning various models isn't an option by the way.

All I know is that don't want to go all chinese again though so Adam is pretty much the only option for me.
I don't care how currently popular the Yamaha HS series are for example, they are still standard cheap chinese monitors painted like ns-10's,
using more or less same components as my Bx8 and numerous brands in the same price range, believe it or not.
And by saying this, I am not saying that they suck, just that they are too similar to my Bx8's.
I am well aware of this x series noisy ports recurring problem but I'm willing to take the risk. I could always send them back if I have to.

I was more attracted by the A8x at first because they are huge and sexy and all, even tho they are the absolute limit for me in term of budget. But...
Bigger woofer often means slower response/ less clarity.
With a 9" woofer, they almost fall in the midfield category.

So I am now contemplating buying the A7x instead.
My primary concern is mid range clarity but having a decently defined low end is also a top priority of course.
Looking at the specs, there's no huge difference between the A8x's and the A7x'sregarding the low end extension.
A7x supposedly goes as low as 42hz. Should be good enough for me since Bx8's go down to 39hz... A8x's go down to 38hz.
That's just specs anyway, not reality.
I must mention that have absolutely no desire (nor money) to deal with a sub.

So, what would you guys choose? Why? How do? ¯\(°_o)/¯

I haven't heard the A7X but am really enjoying my A8X compared to the A7s I used to have. I could happily mix on either but the A8X are a lot more balanced and extend WAY lower. The clarity and seperation is outstanding IMO. You wouldn't need a sub in a decently treated room with the A8X and I get no port noise here.

They don't have the laser focused mid beam of the A7 which might be an issue for some but I find it less fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.

They have a 5 year warranty which seems good if you ever encounter any issues with the build quality but so far so good here (a couple months).

Damn. I'm even more on the fence now.:lol:
It raises one question though. Couldn't the A7x being the best compromise since they are just slightly bigger (7") than the A7 (6.5")?
I still have a couple weeks before I make the final decision...

I haven't heard the A7X but am really enjoying my A8X compared to the A7s I used to have. I could happily mix on either but the A8X are a lot more balanced and extend WAY lower. The clarity and seperation is outstanding IMO. You wouldn't need a sub in a decently treated room with the A8X and I get no port noise here.

They don't have the laser focused mid beam of the A7 which might be an issue for some but I find it less fatiguing to listen to for long periods of time.

They have a 5 year warranty which seems good if you ever encounter any issues with the build quality but so far so good here (a couple months).

+1 to all - especially your comments about clarity and separation. You really won't be disappointed if you pick up a pair of A8Xs - I'm in a reasonably well treated room and I feel no need for a sub. Its crazy how detailed the mids are whilst still having such an extended low end. I've never had a problem with rattling ports here either.

Dude, I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with the A7Xs (if that's the way you end up going) but I can't stress how blown away I was with my A8Xs. They were an absolute steal for £950 IMO - literally... mix sounds good on A8Xs, mix sounds good on anything else. I really doubt I'll upgrade any time in the next 5 years but I imagine if you went for the A7Xs you might want to add a sub at some point.

I´ve got a pair of A7x´s and they sound awesome! Hopefully I will update as soon I get money, cause I moved to a bigger place and maybe the 9" woofer help me out!
So you're saying you miss a bit of low end?

Two months ago, i was going to purchase the a7x, but when i tried it in the store, guess what...PORT NOISE!...A8x was totally out of my budget so i ended up grabbing some A7's and for me, they have the best compromise between beautiful highs, incredible detailed mids and honest bass response for the size. If you want to go down, GET A SUB.

My 0,12 cents.

Well, your the one out of four (so far) to have encounter the problem, so it means that the problem isn't occuring on EVERY monitors of that serie or at least it isn't always blatant.
And no, again I don't want a sub. Subs are awesome when set up professionally no question about it but you can't get away with empirical reasoning and diy treatment with them.

Scarlett-Johansson-boobs.gif

Bump with a sideboob.

Still undecided. The more I read reviews about it and the more I'm feeling anxious.:(

I red that the A8x are the suck™ at lower levels...
(I'm more of a "mix quiet/check loud every now and then" kind of guy.:erk:)

I red that the A7x need a sub. I don't want a sub. I can't imagine a sub not creating additional phase weirdnesses (among other standing waves and resonnance issues)

Bumping with a hot redhead btw...
deborah-ann-woll.jpg

So you don't want either of those monitors but you insist to choose from one of them?

How about a pair of Dynaudio Bm series? I think they're not made in china, probably in Denmark.