Adam A7 vs A7x or <insert monitor here> and their issues

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
Hey peeps!

I know there are loads of threads about monitors all the time but buying new monitors is a pretty big thing and I hope you guys can bear with me for another one of these threads. This thread is not just a "help me choose monitors"-thread but actually more about the Adam A7 monitors.

I've read there are some issues with these monitors such as hissing, "farting", chuffing, rattling, buzzing and so on. There are quite a few threads at Gearslutz for example that cover this. Then I found out the A7x variant is an upgrade of A7 and resolves most of these issues, while of course costing more. Not only do they cost more but getting them would fuck my budget up and let something else suffer.

I was pretty set on the A7 a while ago when Anssi linked me to a bundle at www.thomann.de where they sell a pair of A7 with monitor stands for about 960$. A pair of the A7x would go for 1113$ WITHOUT any monitor stands and now I'm considering other alternatives.

The Yamaha HS80M seems like a love or hate kind of thing, and they are cheap. I've also heard some good things about Tannoy... what else, KRK? I guess I'm slowly turning this thread into a "help me decide on a pair of monitors!!!!11"-thread but when I'm about to spend 1000$ on something, I'd really like it to not be a disaster.

PS. I'm not thinking about getting a sub so I'd rather find a pair of monitors with enough lows for around 1000$.

Shit, what is one supposed to do?

Nail it down to a few contestants, find a shop who has them, compare them.
It's the best way to find something you like.
Monitors/headphones often are a thing of personal liking, if you compare stuff in the same price and quality range...and the 1000k a pair seems to be a decent mid-thing area...

I have none of those issues with my A7's, and I don't think anyone else on here with them has those problems. TBH, I've only heard about rattling issues with the ports on the newer X series, not the older ones.

Nail it down to a few contestants, find a shop who has them, compare them.
It's the best way to find something you like.
Monitors/headphones often are a thing of personal liking, if you compare stuff in the same price and quality range...and the 1000k a pair seems to be a decent mid-thing area...

Since I have never owned a pair of monitors before, I have nothing to reference them to. Hence, it doesn't matter at all what monitor I actually get since I have to learn them from scratch. I have only mixed on headphones until now and will continue to do so for another month of two before switching to monitors. I just want to make sure I'm not buying a pair of monitors that have a bad reputation or are considered toys.

Since I have never owned a pair of monitors before, I have nothing to reference them to. Hence, it doesn't matter at all what monitor I actually get since I have to learn them from scratch. I have only mixed on headphones until now and will continue to do so for another month of two before switching to monitors. I just want to make sure I'm not buying a pair of monitors that have a bad reputation or are considered toys.

Ah ok, but still, comparing them in the a shop is the best way to tell if you're more into the KRK, Adam, Yamaha or whatever...
So I wouldnt say that it doesnt matter, because even if a lot of people are into the xy, it doesnt mean that you are too...that's all I'm sayin'^^
Never had the A7, can't tell anything about them sorry....

I've got some older krk rokit 5's. To be honest, the frequency response on them pretty good, I can eq a fairly balanced mix with them, but the dynamic response is seriously lacking. It's very difficult to for me to tell if I'm over-compressing a mix or not. These are some of the cheaper krks, so the more expensive ones may be better, but definitely compare them to some others if you can. A friend of mine has some Alesis M1's and while they sound a bit more "hyped" the dynamic response is sooo much better.

I was actually thinking of saving up for some A7's, but your thread has got me questioning them now.

I got a pair of A7s two months ago and they sound brilliant. I upgraded from Alesis 620 and my mixes started to sound good, all of a sudden :)
I experienced no problems with rattling, farting, buzzing or anything else (so far). and also funny thing that guy at the store (who I know pretty well) told me that they sold more a7s than any other monitors all together. and got no returns or complaints. good luck!

I have none of those issues with my A7's, and I don't think anyone else on here with them has those problems. TBH, I've only heard about rattling issues with the ports on the newer X series, not the older ones.

Agreed. Mine have been gold with serious abuse.

All I'm going to add is that you should check out the Mackie HR range, they're about the same price and kick some serious ass in my opinion. Some find them a little hi-fi sounding but I've never had a problem mixing on them.

OT: Haha, waiting for greayskull to mention (for the millionth time) that the mackies are utter crap.

I also have the A7s and with a few tweaks on the back of the speakers + extra acoustic treatment and Sub 8 I finally hear what I want and what I need.

OT: Haha, waiting for greayskull to mention (for the millionth time) that the mackies are utter crap.

I also have the A7s and with a few tweaks on the back of the speakers + extra acoustic treatment and Sub 8 I finally hear what I want and what I need.

i totally was.
A7>824s

No problems here, pretty decent sounding monitors with a beastly mid range. Got the sub 7 as well, which goes nicely. I reckon they are a bit pricey though, but you get what you pay for I guess!

Thanks guys, lots of great feedback as usual.

The Yamaha HS80s would make my life easier so I wouldn't have to cheap out on other things I need around here but the Adams do seem like good quality since most of you report no issues with them. Although, getting a sub for the A7s is SO out of the question, but would I need a sub to mix the lows accurately? Are the A7s incapable of producing low enough frequencies? I see they go down to 46hz whereas the HS80 go down to 42hz.

Fuckin' crap, I'll head to my local music store tomorrow and see what monitors they have but I doubt they have the ones that I want to compare. Last time I was there they had the Genelecs and some Mackies and of course Behringer crap. Not a huge ass shop to say the least and that's the way it is in this town!

I hate making important choises such as these :) I guess worst case scenario is... I buy a pair of monitors, they are fucked up and I return them. The most likely scenario is that I buy a pair of monitors, they sound okay, I get used to how they sound and THEN start to love them.