Adam A7 vs A7x or <insert monitor here> and their issues

I actually got the chance to really try out the yamaha HS80M's against some Rockits and others. I liked them the most. I tried some mackies, messy in the lows and no detail in the mids. the rockits were very... i don't know, fizzy as monitors??? just really junkie in the high. cymbals sounded terrible on every song I tried. The yamaha's represent the mixes I like most the best IMO. They seemed a bit too forward in the mids, but awesome enough, theres a -2db button on the back for 2khz, i found it much more pleasing with the button on. I will be picking up a set in a few months time :)

I actually got the chance to really try out the yamaha HS80M's against some Rockits and others. I liked them the most. I tried some mackies, messy in the lows and no detail in the mids. the rockits were very... i don't know, fizzy as monitors??? just really junkie in the high. cymbals sounded terrible on every song I tried. The yamaha's represent the mixes I like most the best IMO. They seemed a bit too forward in the mids, but awesome enough, theres a -2db button on the back for 2khz, i found it much more pleasing with the button on. I will be picking up a set in a few months time :)

Nice, seems like a good starting point for monitors. I may buy these, I still haven't bought monitors since I created this thread :O I may finish my album with my BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro headphones - fuck yeah that's hardcore.

You could also look at Dynaudio BM5A monitors or look at some used KRK's like the 6000 or 7000 model from the early 90's. Those old KRK's are similar sounding to the current Focal monitors. The Kevlar tweeter is a little smoother sounding than the current tweeter they use. But you'll need an amp so that adds to the final cost quite a bit.

I've used A7's several times and attended tracking and mixing sessions where they were used, and I own a pair of HS80's. I really prefer the Yammies. I know it might sound like I'm boosting the gear I've bought, but if I considered the A7's better, I'd upgrade to them.

diddo. I tried all of the monitors in that price range, and enjoyed listening with the hs80`s the best. the krk rockit 8`s came in a close 2nd. the a7s sounded nice, but not what I would want as my primary monitor. If I had mad cash I would consider them for checking masters/mixes, but I would probably go with a 2.1 type system. If I was doing more mastering work and needed something with more transparency I would consider something other than nearfield monitors.

my advice is to listen to a bunch of monitors and see what you prefer the sound of. my personal opinion is that if the speakers sound too "hifi" then they probably arent the best choice for mixing.

To the OP:

My advice would be to stalk eBay for a good deal on a used set of monitors that will hold their value (such as the A7s). Your mixes will improve for now, and you can always sell them and get all (or more) of your money back when you decide to get something really high end like the Opals.

After half a year... A7 or A7X?
Does anyone own/owned an Adam A7X here?
Does it really have problems?
Does it worth the more bass?
Please help me guys, I can't trust these dubstep pop lame opinions on other sites! Thanks! :)

Judging from this thread, you can't really go wrong with A7s or HS80s. Both are great monitors for the price, it just depends on your personal preference.

A negative about the A7s:
You are probably going to need a sub. They are somewhat light on the low-end but the mid-range and high-end sound beautiful. I've got a pair of A7s with a KRK10 sub. Great combo, in my opinion, but any sub should help out a lot, even if you decide to get a behringer sub.

HS80s are cheaper and have better low-end.

I would recommend you go to a shop and try them out. If you can't do that then order one of the sets and return them if you don't like them.

After half a year... A7 or A7X?
Does anyone own/owned an Adam A7X here?
Does it really have problems?
Does it worth the more bass?
Please help me guys, I can't trust these dubstep pop lame opinions on other sites! Thanks! :)

Same question here ! I would really like to know the difference between the regular A7 and the A7X :)

I own the A7x's and my good friend nolly owns the A7's.

Both are fantastic speakers. The difference is small but imo the 7x's are a good improvement over the 7's

I havent had any problems so far with the 7x's and i love them dearly. they have amazing detail/clarity and portray a very open / 3d sonic space.

Thanks guys, lots of great feedback as usual.

The Yamaha HS80s would make my life easier so I wouldn't have to cheap out on other things I need around here but the Adams do seem like good quality since most of you report no issues with them. Although, getting a sub for the A7s is SO out of the question, but would I need a sub to mix the lows accurately? Are the A7s incapable of producing low enough frequencies? I see they go down to 46hz whereas the HS80 go down to 42hz.

Fuckin' crap, I'll head to my local music store tomorrow and see what monitors they have but I doubt they have the ones that I want to compare. Last time I was there they had the Genelecs and some Mackies and of course Behringer crap. Not a huge ass shop to say the least and that's the way it is in this town!

I hate making important choises such as these :) I guess worst case scenario is... I buy a pair of monitors, they are fucked up and I return them. The most likely scenario is that I buy a pair of monitors, they sound okay, I get used to how they sound and THEN start to love them.

It is questionable, whether you can hear the low end capabilities of a monitor system in a homerecording environment.
So i would not give a decision to a Monitor, that goes down to 42 Hz, while the competitor just reaches 46 Hz.
Judge the low end of your mixes with good headphones (like your DT 990).

Most essential is, that a monitor system can reproduce the mid-range in a accurate, neutral and precise way. This is where human ears are most sensible.
Save some more money and spent it in a pair of these http://www.thomann.de/se/emes_black_tv_hr_aktive.htm
and you will be happy for a long time.
They might not be such spectatcular shiny and HI-FI as a pair of ADAMs (everybodys darling), but they are reliable tools.
I own a pair of the smaller EMES (Kobalt) for nearly six years now an won give them away.

Thanks for the answers guys, especially for you G1, really useful that you heard them together! Can I ask when you bought that?
I have read on gearslutz about this A7X "farting bass" problem, but if I see well the company had fixed this somehow...
This is the main reason I'm asking here. I hope I can trust Adam, and won't get a wrong pair.
I'm quite sure that I will go with one of them, (A7 vs A7X) but it will be hard to find a shop here where I can compare them.