Adam A7X or S2A?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I've found a lot of threads comparing the S2A to the A7s (most highly in favor of the S2As... which makes sense, they were much more expensive), but none versus the new A7X...

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of S2As in great shape for about as much as, if not cheaper than, a used pair of A7Xs. Now, I've heard the A7Xs have a bigger lowend than the A7s did, while still retaining the great midrange and high end clarity the A7s were known for. Basically, I've heard them described as A7s with more clarity and lower lows. I've also heard the S2As have more lowend than the A7s.

Coming from a pair of M-Audio DSM3s, I felt like the mids were a bit relaxed on them and the lowend was lacking (dual 6.5" design). I need something that goes lower (while still remaining accuracy ), but also has a more prominent mid range, as I found my mixes on the DSMs always ended up pretty hollow in the mids. I'm mixing mainly hard rock and modern metal stuff, so a tight lowend and aggressive guitars (midrange) are a must.

Do the S2As still hold up in favor of the A7Xs, or is it worth waiting longer for a pair of used A7Xs to come up at a decent price?

You have to listen to them to understand, and eventually (even better) work on them. I felt like the sound difference was like the image difference when going from DVD to BluRay, or as if a veil was removed. The sound is just clearer, deeper, better...

You have to listen to them to understand, and eventually (even better) work on them. I felt like the sound difference was like the image difference when going from DVD to BluRay, or as if a veil was removed. The sound is just clearer, deeper, better...

Nice!

I really wish I could demo them, but the only Adam monitors any place around here carries is the A7 and A7X, and I already know which of those two I want :eek:

I was already leaning heavily toward the S2As anyway, mainly because I know how much they cost new, and the price I can get them for now is cheaper than a pair of A7Xs, so it seems like a no brainer to me.