Which sub to get?

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
As some of you know, I bought a pair of Adam A7s and the more I work with them the more I like them. Unfortunately, with them I still don't have a clear idea what's really going on in the lowend. My room is 3,5 X 4,5 m and has 15 broadband absorbers. The room is nowhere near perfect but I am confident it is not the main reason for the lack of lowend.

My budget is around 500 euro and I'm considering the following subs:
1. Adam Sub8: it's designed especially for the A7, so that's a plus. It's ported and features an 8" woofer.
2. Adam Sub7: designed for the A5 but also A7, yet i'm not sure about a sub with such a small cabinet and a 7" woofer.
3. E-MU Ps12: 12" woofer, 20+kg, closed box, lots of controls. Seems to be a serious sub and everything i've read about it has been positive. I can't seem to find a site that has them in stock, so I'm not sure they even make them anymore.
4. KRK 10s: nothing too special, apart from being the only one I could probably hear in a shop. It's almost as cheap as Sub7 but has a 10" woofer.

I've always been kinda curious about this too, namely how much the quality of a sub matters compared with the quality of monitors producing the mids/highs...

I'd guess subwoofer quality is not less important at all because of the inherent properties of low-frequency sounds and subwoofer design seems to be just as complicated as monitor design.

I have heard these in a studio here in San Antonio and I like them http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS10/

These fit in the budget so I'll have them in mind and I'll check for some reviews. Thanks.

I think you will be fine with the Sub 7.... An 8inch sub doesn't move much more air than a 7inch...

I know woofer size is not the only thing that matters but the cabinet is pretty small for a sub, too. Too bad I can't hear and compare the different subs.