Moved to a little apartment room--tiny monitors?

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm in a cramped apartment room and I'm looking for something fairly small that'll fit on my desk with some mopads or something (less than a 5" woofer). Under $1k would be nice.

So far I'm looking at Focal CMS 40s and Adam A3Xs. The Adams are looking nice since they're so much cheaper...I can't test the Focals anywhere in my area so I'm basically SOL for first hand listening. I've heard A7s and they sound good, though.

Any input? Thanks.

+1 on Genelec 8020's. I actually helped my friend move into a small flat a couple months ago, and after we were done, we had a few beers while listening to music on his home studio setup which had the 8020's. Sounded surprisingly good, I've only heard the bigger ones like 8040's etc. before and they really were very nice in comparison.

Eh I think I'd rather go cheaper than more expensive. I'm sure I'll come back to larger monitors eventually. The MSP5 and A3Xs are in a better price range than the Genelecs for me. Are mopads the best solution for putting monitors directly on a computer desk?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Just for reference, the room itself probably isn't small to most standards (like 120 sq ft) but it's cramped as all hell. Does that make a difference or should I just treat it as a standard size room?

I just went from RP5's to the adam a3's. preeetty nice in my tiny cubic room. definitely recommended.

Do you have the a3x's? How do you find them? I'm pondering in making the switch from my m-audio bx5a's to the a3x's for my bedroom for stuff I do outside the studio and they seem to be roughly the same size or even smaller than the bx5a's. How's the low-end response on those?