Adam A7 vs A7x or <insert monitor here> and their issues

I had hs80s and switched to Focal Twins about 18 months ago.
Night and day difference.
I know the twins are very expensive but I know I will never again need to upgrade my monitors.
The Focal solo 6s are supposed to be great too but I haven't heard them so can't comment.
I would suggest holding off for a while and getting the cash together for them.

Thanks guys, lots of great feedback as usual.

The Yamaha HS80s would make my life easier so I wouldn't have to cheap out on other things I need around here but the Adams do seem like good quality since most of you report no issues with them. Although, getting a sub for the A7s is SO out of the question, but would I need a sub to mix the lows accurately? Are the A7s incapable of producing low enough frequencies? I see they go down to 46hz whereas the HS80 go down to 42hz.

The problem with A7s is that they aren't exactly 'cheap'. They are somewhere in between, but what you get is... I don't know. For me it's not enough.

That 'middle ground' area where you're paying a fair amount for speakers that are still pretty shit (and don't be under an illusion, the HS80s are shit speakers too) never worked for me.

I think either go for what's widely accepted as the best cheap option (HS80) or save up and get a set of Opals, Twins, O300s, MM27s etc. which will give you full-range, minimal compromise sound. Anything in between feels like a waste of money to me.

Got my A7s for about 600 euro thanks to the super-cheap british pound back then. I don't know if i'd give close to 800 for them.

I don't think there is a big difference in money.Thomann has the A7 for 732 and the A7X for 870.The thing is that the new Adam A7x has many problems.You should check this thread http://www.gearslutz.com/board/f9/new-ax-series-adam-475807.html.Check the last pages and you will find lots of issues that Adam knows and they trying to find a way to fix this.I was about to buy the A7x but for now i'll wait.

Given the fact that I almost always have bad luck with gear, buying Adam monitors will most likely end up with me having to send them back due to fucked up noises and generally broken monitors. That thread also gave me an indication that those A-series of Adam's are not 100% safe to go for.

Ermz might have a point in not spending too much money in the mid-range. Maybe I should just go with the HS80s, learn and work with them until I have worked my way up to the higher-end monitors.

Time to recalculate the budget!

I have A7's and they have a failure that one amp is louder than the other... so i have to turn one of them 5db louder, then they are equaly loud! Rly sux... but they sound good. Im working on HS80s in the studio and i prefere the HS80 *blush*

The problem with A7s is that they aren't exactly 'cheap'. They are somewhere in between, but what you get is... I don't know. For me it's not enough.

That 'middle ground' area where you're paying a fair amount for speakers that are still pretty shit (and don't be under an illusion, the HS80s are shit speakers too) never worked for me.

I think either go for what's widely accepted as the best cheap option (HS80) or save up and get a set of Opals, Twins, O300s, MM27s etc. which will give you full-range, minimal compromise sound. Anything in between feels like a waste of money to me.

A good friend of mine had a pair of Questeds. They were serious money. He sold them for a pair of a7's.... just saying

I've fannyed around with Questeds quite a bit and in my experience they are very dishonest, it's very hard to pick out faults with them.

I love the Adams and find them to be more honest. My decision was HS80s or A7 also.. It's not that the Yammies were bad, but they sounded more like HiFi speakers than monitors to me. The panorama was better with the Adams and the highs are more detailed. I have them for about a year now and I will get a sub, soon.

A7 user here... I really love them! No issues, no hiss, nothing. They are brutally honest with high frequencys and I needed some time to adjust though. My first few mixing attempts turned out too dark sounding on other systems but now I really like working with them and my mixes translate very well!