Has Anyone Noticed..

[KOTNO]Narrot;7290178 said:
what is the big deal about it? the amount of stuff you can play on a guitar is limited so there'll always be parts that sound somewhat close to parts of other songs ... it's nothing special, it happens all the time etc etc

this reminds me of a funny story. WHen Kid Rock did American Badass and used the Sad But True music by Metallica I encounteredalot of people who thought Metallica ripped off Kid Rock. Sometimes I wish ignorant people would just disappear.

I feel like the guy in Indepandence day trying to convince the president the signal from the alien spacecraft is transmiting a count-down to destroy the world while using our own sattelites against us.

haha that was on tv the other night.

"We will not go quiet;y into the night. We're going to live on, we're going to survive. Today we celebrate our independance day." Gotta give it up to Captain Lonestar from Spaceballs for delivering that tichular line.

I saw Independence day when I was a kid. And I loved that speech part. But I didn't know what cheese was back then. I watched it again a few years ago and I couldn't stop laughing. What utter bullshit.

I don't really hear any similarities personally, but I think the sound you're hearing in BWP is an E-Bow, it's something that was used by prog bands in the seventies and I know Mikael said they bought one and that it's all over BWP (album). It basically just produces an electromagnetic field that affects the string similarly to how a violin/cello bow would (think Jimmy Page).

I don't really hear any similarities personally, but I think the sound you're hearing in BWP is an E-Bow, it's something that was used by prog bands in the seventies and I know Mikael said they bought one and that it's all over BWP (album). It basically just produces an electromagnetic field that affects the string similarly to how a violin/cello bow would (think Jimmy Page).

Very interesting. What do you think Pink Floyd used during that trippy part in Echoes?

Here's a copy and paste from http://www.ebow.com/ebow/faq.htm ...

"In the early days, it was used by Tom Petty, Big Country, Duran Duran, Blondie, Bauhaus, David Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult and Bill Nelson. More recently Van Halen, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd:err:, Peter Gabriel and the Psychedelic Furs." (bands that use (d) the Ebow guitar.

I think it's possible Pink Floyd was using an Ebow guitar during that part. What is more, Opeth does use the Ebow all through that cd, but during that portion of the song the settings are completley changed on the Ebow and I swear it sounds exactly like the settings Pink Floyd used in the 70's.

Very interesting. What do you think Pink Floyd used during that trippy part in Echoes?

I think it's possible Pink Floyd was using an Ebow guitar during that part. What is more, Opeth does use the Ebow all through that cd, but during that portion of the song the settings are completley changed on the Ebow and I swear it sounds exactly like the settings Pink Floyd used in the 70's.

The EBow wasn't invented until 1976. Meddle was in 1971. It's Gilmour's crazy bends and his Binson Ecorec delay. Its also a couple layered guitar tracks. This is probably my favorite song to ever exist, by my favorite band, so I've done quite extensive research about it in trying to get my tone similar to his sound. Haven't come quite as close as I'd like to though haha.