has anyone tried the mesa mark V's yet?

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
just wondering has anyone tried one of these babies yet. i haven't seen one in ireland yet so i haven't had a chance to shred out on one.

the mark IV's are seriously versatile amps. i love them (pity my budget doesn't)

if you have tried a mark V just wondering hows the mid range on the amp?

tried the combo the other day..

did not spend a ton of time with it , but It sounded like a mark IV , etc. It didn't seems to break any new ground tone wise ( in my brief test run) but it sounded decent. Sparkly cleans, good old school metal rhythm in IIc+ mode and singing sustaining lead tones that sound great a low volume levels. If your a John Petrucci nut , it's Dream theater in a box...

The interface is easy to understand. If you like Mark boogie's you'll dig it...

Mark amps were never my favorite though...

The Mark series are known for their mid voicing, among other things of course...

yea i know that, i was wondering about them because lamb of god use mark IV's and i was thinking of saving up a few bucks for one. then i heard about the mark V's this year and i was wondering if they decided to scoop out the mids. thank fuck they didnt.

I think it was more of a versatility upgrade than anything, but who knows...I haven't played one. The Mark series are awesome amps, but for some reason LOG was never a shining example of their tone to me.

-Joe

yea i know that, i was wondering about them because lamb of god use mark IV's and i was thinking of saving up a few bucks for one. then i heard about the mark V's this year and i was wondering if they decided to scoop out the mids. thank fuck they didnt.

The way the tone controls are designed on the Marks you can't, really. Part of the whole Mark-series thing is that the tone controls are pre-gain. Thus the massive mids and odd response of the controls. (And the graphic EQ- you can't scoop a Mark without one. At all.) They are an odd beast; very atypical from a design standpoint.

And yeah, LOG has kinda oddball tone. IIRC they've got the presence cranked way up, for one...

I think it was more of a versatility upgrade than anything

Basically. You can get a passable high gain tone from R2 now for those who want clean/heavy rhythm/lead tones. The IV is clean/mid-gain/high gain. A very versatile amp to be sure, but not in a three-channel modern metal amp sort of way- and that's a big part of Mesa's audience.

I think that'll bring the Mark series to a wider group of players, personally. They're phenomenally tight and clear if you set them up properly. You'll need really wacky settings compared to a normal amp though; if it's anything like the other iterations of the Marks, crank up the treble pretty high, presence to taste, and keep the bass and mid knobs at halfway or under. (Trust me- a Mark with mids on 5 has more midrange content than a Marshall with mids on 10, and they'll mud up real fast with the bass and mid knobs much higher- the pre-gain tone controls thing.) Shape the tone with the graphic EQ.

Also, they don't differ much at high volumes tone-wise besides the obvious change in response from sheer volume and pushing the speakers harder. The master volumes on the Marks are great. Best low volume amp I've ever owned, by far.

I've yet to hear a clip of a Mark IV playing rhythm stuff that I liked, and too many options/controls (and them being really confusing, with all sorts of push/pull nonsense and "lower the bass knob to zero while compensating with the graphic eq" crap) really piss me off, AND I find them really ugly (and by extension the Mark V since it's pratically the same), so all in all I can't say there's much about 'em that appeals to me! :lol: Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until I play one

Well, for what it's worth here's a mix approaching the end which has the Mark IV as the main rhythm sound: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/common-rough.mp3

You just have to ignore the shitty tinkertoy synths.

I really dig the Mark series of amps. They have a unique voicing that seems to blend the best parts of the Mesa edge and aggression with the smoother mids of Peavey amps. I always thought of the Mark IV as a pre-blended 5150 and dual rec.

Holly mother of god:zombie:It sounds frickin awesome.I love the kick:headbang:But ur right.The keyboard reminds me a yamaha i had when i was 6:lol:

HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA THOSE SYNTHS, dear lord, and holy fuck they're loud in the first riff, that's just absurd (I assume the band's request). To be honest dude, I could barely get a feel for the tone cuz the synths were so distracting, but I guess it sounded good! (but did I mention the synths? :Spin: )