Tried out the Mesa Mark V today...

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
Tried the Mesa Mark V today at Guitar Center (who amazingly had it available to try, not typical for them to carry anything in the price range.) The guitar I used was a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with EMG 707-TW pickups. I spent nearly 2 hours with the amp, trying out every channel/mode, etc.

First impressions: amazing amp, however, I didn't like it very much for fast downtuned metal - which makes the amp useless for me. It would be incredible for classic rock, blues, and 80s metal though - the clean channel (1) is very lush and the mid-high gain channel (2) is very articulate and smooth. The reverb is by far the best guitar reverb I've heard in my life - it is absolutely EPIC.

Here's the deal - Channel 3 on Extreme mode is NOT a Dual Rec sound, as some have wrongfully attested. I've never had to turn up the gain on a Dual Rec very far at all, however on the Mark V I found myself having to keep the gain constantly cranked, and it STILL never felt heavy/saturated/brutal enough. And I am definitely NOT somebody who relies on distortion, I have a very heavy picking attack - it just wasn't giving me that "high gain" feeling. Pinch harmonics were completely weak compared to a 5150 or Dual Rec, and I felt I had to dig my pick in ridiculously hard to get it to sound its best. In "Mark IV" mode I found Channel 3 to have all the same issues, but with a warmer, more nasal voicing.

I tried every possible configuration of the switches and many different EQ settings, and I had the amp loud most of the time.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. For some reason I expected it to be the holy grail of amps, the ultimate amp - and in some ways it is that, for most of the target market of the amp. It has an absolutely amazing, refined, even beautiful character to it, with a very warm voicing even with the v-scoop enabled. It is EXTREMELY dynamic and sensitive to picking attack - probably the best amp EVER for people who want to be able to go from clean to heavy just by adjusting their picking attack. The problem is - it's actually TOO classy for br00talz. :lol:

Tried the Mesa Mark V today at Guitar Center (who amazingly had it available to try, not typical for them to carry anything in the price range.) The guitar I used was a Schecter Hellraiser C-7 with EMG 707 pickups.

First impressions: amazing amp, however, I didn't like it very much for fast downtuned metal - which makes the amp useless for me. It would be incredible for classic rock, blues, and 80s metal though - the clean channel is very lush and the mid-high gain sounds are very articulate and smooth.

Here's the deal - Channel 3 on Extreme mode is NOT a Dual Rec sound, as some have wrongfully attested. I've never had to turn up the gain on a Dual Rec very far at all, however on the Mark V I found myself having to keep the gain constantly cranked, and it STILL never felt heavy/saturated/brutal enough. And I am definitely NOT somebody who relies on distortion, I have a very heavy picking attack - it just wasn't giving me that "high gain" feeling. Pinch harmonics were completely weak compared to a 5150 or Dual Rec.

I tried every possible configuration of the switches and many different EQ settings, and I had the amp loud most of the time.

Needless to say, I was disappointed. For some reason I expected it to be the holy grail of amps, the ultimate amp - and in some ways it is that, for most of the target market of the amp. It has an absolutely amazing, refined, even beautiful character to it. The problem is - it's actually TOO classy for br00talz. :lol:
Isn't the point of this amp that it ISN'T a Dual Rec?

You're right Kazrog. They have a very dry sound, even under heavy saturation. My problem was that I was always battling the gain knobs, aiming for distortion. It would not be my first choice for any modern metal music, but it does have a very nice and refined character that would be good for leads, rock, or maybe even some older thrash type material.

That review really convinced me to try it out... Sounds like an awesome amp. Perhaps with a brighter/more aggressive guitar, it'd sound better? My ash Edwards with an X2N in D standard may be meaner with it than a mahogany/707 guitar.

That review really convinced me to try it out... Sounds like an awesome amp. Perhaps with a brighter/more aggressive guitar, it'd sound better? My ash Edwards with an X2N in D standard may be meaner with it than a mahogany/707 guitar.

Normally a Hellraiser C-7 is plenty bright and very aggressive. The DiMarzio X2N is a high output passive, but cannot possibly be as high output as an active EMG 707.

I'm sure with a tube screamer you could get enough bite out of the Mark V, however I don't typically like to rely on that pedal for distortion if I don't have to. Honestly, for the price of the Mark V it would be awesome to be able to run it without any pedals at all, just the footswitch. If Channel 3 got about 25% heavier than it does now, it would be _THE BEST_ amp in the world.

maybe with some 12ax7 tubes rated for higher gain, you could achieve something heavier. Mesa comes with what, Sovteks?

IDK man, at the store demisephil and I work at, we have a Mark 5 and I've been able to play it and even take it home on several occasions.

I've never had a problem getting this thing to sound br00t. Mind you, I don't like it as much as our beloved Trem-o-Verb but it is a SICK sounding amp.

Phil and I tend to get the best modern metal tones in the MK IV mode, ironically enough. The extreme mode is too compressed sounding for the most part.

and, this is WITHOUT a boost. We'll have to take it home again sometime soon and try to get some clips up of it or at the very least, re-evaluate.

I do agree, however, that playing through the Mark V just 'feels' crazy! It's so dynamic feeling. It responds to every nuance of your playing like NO amp I've ever tried.

Cheers dude!

I completely agree with Charlie. I play this amp at work almost everyday and from what i can tell it sounds the best when you set the 3rd channel to mark iv and have it on variac power. I played it with the ibanez 8 string and my rg 1527 both with emg's and the amp is crushing. and it does have the best reverb i have ever heard on an amp.

^ You know, for all the amps and cabs you guys have access to, it saddens me that I have yet to hear a single clip of any of them :cry: ;) (besides Chuck's old Fireball/1960 clips from the days of the dinosaurs :D)

Normally a Hellraiser C-7 is plenty bright and very aggressive. The DiMarzio X2N is a high output passive, but cannot possibly be as high output as an active EMG 707.

The Hellraiser is a mahogany bodied guitar, my guitar is ash bodied. So it'd definitely be brighter/more aggressive.

As for the pickups, the 707 may have more output than the X2N, but the X2N is just flat out the most pissed off and aggressive sounding pickup I have ever heard. Definitely a lot tighter and meaner than the 89s I had in my guitar previously.

Doesn't sound like Mesa Mark's are your kind of amp then. Also, in my experience, Mesa Mark's also don't mix very well with EMG's.

FTR, Mark IV and Mark III > Mark V.