Has RC thought of doing....

JayKeeley said:
...The most obvious thing though was that lead vocalist/guitarist hanging a Gibson Explorer down to his knees. That was a bit too much I thought. I mean, that's Hetfield room only.
Or...any number of punk guitarists that Hetfield so obviously ripped that off from. :D

Dreamlord said:
Uh, I think I've heard some songs from Rakoth on various samplers and such.
Damn, I just re-read my review. I gave that a 7.5? I need to change that score. I'd give that an 8.5 today. Anyway, have a read of the review and if it interests you, and I honestly think it should, I'll send you a CD-R.

markgugs said:
Or...any number of punk guitarists that Hetfield so obviously ripped that off from. :D
True, true, with the whole guitar hanging to the floor and thingymabob. But did anyone in punk ever play the Gibson Explorer specifically?

Put it this way, does anyone see that Gibson Explorer and not think of James Hetfield nowaday?

JayKeeley said:
True, true, with the whole guitar hanging to the floor and thingymabob. But did anyone in punk ever play the Gibson Explorer specifically?

Put it this way, does anyone see that Gibson Explorer and not think of James Hetfield nowaday?
Me, probably, since I don't know one guitar from another guitar. :)

Behold...

explorer.jpg

That is Hetfield turf.

I think 'Guitar Center' because that's the only place I've ever played one. :D

I see what you mean though, any time I see someone playing a right-handed Fender Strat left-handed, I think of Hendrix.

NAD said:
I see what you mean though, any time I see someone playing a right-handed Fender Strat left-handed, I think of Hendrix.
Or a scalloped fret board on a Fender Strat. It's Malmsteen, everyone knows it's Malmsteen, the world only needs one Malmsteen. I knew a kid at college who scalloped his fretboard with a chisel and just fucked it all up. It was a beautiful strat too.

Hey - totally off topic, but I was listening to First Strike Still Deadly today, and did everyone realize that Steve DiGiorgio plays fretless bass!!? Does he play fretless on everything he does? If so, I am deeply humbled even more so by his existence and lifeforce just because of the music he's into. It's difficult as is, let alone removing all frets from a bass.

My buddy has a scalloped neck Strat, from the factory. Yes, his idol is Yngwie, and he does a damn good job playing like him.

I only have a handful of CDs DiGiorgio has played on, but yes, I believe all his work is done fretless. Fretless bass is so god damn fun, but you have to watch where you're going to not miss a note. The upper neck is much easier to work with than the lower, everything is closer together up there.

The sound of a pau ferro fretboard is godlike. *Droooooool*

I can't even keep track of the conversations anymore... I click on the DOOM METAL thread in hopes of finding the peanut butter cookies recipe, only to find a discussion on the merits of silicon implants vs. saline. :loco:

I think metaphoric writing is a creative way toward approaching the review, but you should still make some direct attempt at describing the sound of the album and the effect upon the listener...many of the reviews on RC use imagery very well while still giving an impression of what to expect musically.

JayKeeley said:
Rule #1: Metal songs should NEVER contain the word "metal" in the song title, and this, in no way shape or form, should exclude Judas Priest from such crimes against humanity.
Lethal is not pleased. "Thrash Metal War Machine" and "Lethal Thrash Metal Attack" are quality songs.

Also,
LAY DOWN YOUR SOUL TO THE GODS' ROCK'N'ROLL
METAL TENFOLD THROUGH THE DEADLY BLACK HOLE
RIDING HELL'S STALLIONS BAREBACK AND FREE
TAKING OUR CHANCES WITH RAW ENERGY

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOURHGH BLACK METAL!