Has the name "Anthrax" been a hindrance??

Apr 7, 2002
Sandford, Strathaven
Visit site
I was reading an interview in Classic Rock magazine recently with the british band Thunder, and they were saying that if they could start over they would probably change the name. Basically it worked for them in '89, but by '94 they were struggling with it.

They went on to say that the problem was people's perception, with metalheads knowing who the band were but the mainstream media, on hearing the name, just would not give them any exposure.

I sometimes feel that our favourite band has suffered in a similar way, if I say my ipod has metallica on it non metal fans at least recognise the name as a serious band. If I say i have Anthrax on it it usually leads to laughter and quotes "what pish is that?"

Back in the thrash days it was great, but as the 90's progressed surely the name has donethem no favours, especially when (in my humble opinion) every Bush release kicks the equivelent metallica release into the long grass.

64,000 sales for WCFYA, god knows how many millions for St. Shit???!!!!

Anybody got any thoughts??:cry:

I don't think their name has hindered them in terms of sales and exposure. Many people, in the U.S., anyway, seem to know them simply because of their name.

I dont know, I think the name might be a little bit of a hinderance, especially after 9/11 and the whole basketful of puppies joke. Americans are anal as shit about political correctness (at least the ones who watch FOX News) and I think it hurts the band.

JohnThrax said:
I dont know, I think the name might be a little bit of a hinderance, especially after 9/11 and the whole basketful of puppies joke. Americans are anal as shit about political correctness (at least the ones who watch FOX News) and I think it hurts the band.

I would completely disagree.
It's the ones that watch CNN that are too overly concerened about being "politically correct".....always chastising someone for saying things that "might offend somebody".
The ones that watch Foxnews are the ones that want to tell it like it is..........as I am one of them......But then........that's another story.

I don't think the name Anthrax hurts the band.
Those that pay attention to the news today are older like me. Either we know who Anthrax is and we listen, we know who Anthrax is and we don't listen to them anymore anyway, or we DON"T know who Anthrax is and we never will because we don't listen to that type of music.

Most young people today are not glued to the news and don't really care about the names of the bands. Whether it's Anthrax or Slipknot.

The problem is not the name, it's the style of 80's music.
Anthrax could change their name and it wouldn't make any difference....it's the style.
My nephews are always over at my house talking up their "Shadowsfall", "Lamb of God", "As I Lay Dying", etc..... I always show them my Exodus, Overkill, Armored Saint, Anthrax, Testament, etc.... They think it sounds good for about a minute, then they're back online trying to find guitar tabs for "Lamb of God".

Part of it may be the guitar leads. Few bands focus on guitar like our 80s bands did. My nephew can't dream of playing Exodus, but he can play "Lamb of God" music. He tried to play some Megadeth once, but quickly moved on because it just didn't hold his interest.

Just like when I grew up, the generation before me just couldn't understand why I liked Van Halen and Rush over Led Zepplin and Jimi Hendrix. For me it was very simple. I just liked it better. That's it. Had nothing to do with the names of the bands, just the style of music.

This same group of kids liking today's music will be on some message board 10 years from now wondering why their favorite bands are not selling as many records. They'll wonder in amazement how the next generation just can't get into "their" music......just like we're doing....just as the generation before us did it.

Time's change.
I'm just glad Anthrax, Overkill, Exodus, etc... are still around to make music that I like.

You're right D.N., it is the 80's style that holds them back. That's why I really hope John comes back and they renew their sound they've had from SOWN forward. Their sound has definitely evolved with the times and remained current, but this reunion to me is backtracking. Don't get me wrong I love Joey's voice, I've been a huge fan since '88, but when John came aboard to me everything kicked up a notch and their music evolved. If they do make a new record with Joey, I can't really imagine a "modern" sound with his voice, but maybe I'm wrong. We'll see what happens.

i dont think so,possibly even helped them in the last 5 years with all the terror shit going on,having anthrax on a headline paper cant hurt one lil bit,everyone knows the name anthrax they just aint buting records anymore.