Hats off to Ripper Owens...

Good point, Zod. Post-PP, I wrote that Barlow's Gettysburg wasn't close to Ripper's live version. That trilogy live was fantastic. However, I think Barlow was fine on Declaration Day and Ten Thousand Strong, and I don't think Ripper did very well on some of the more emotional Barlow tunes, such as Melancholy or Dracula. That doesn't mean Ripper isn't a great singer. I think Owens has finally moved beyond the 'Halford clone' label and is recognized for his talent. I haven't heard the new Yngwie yet, but I've heard that Owens is excellent on that one.

Given a choice, I'll take Barlow in Iced Earth (as I know you would, Zod), but I have to agree completely on Ripper's talents.

Steve in Philly

I guess I'm a little unusual in that I've now seen Barlow with Iced Earth three times and I never saw them with Ripper. I had the bad luck both times of being out of town when they came into town. I kinda regret that.

I agree with Zod that he doesn't do Ripper's stuff nearly as well (tho, unlike some above, I thought he did a good job with Gettysburg.) Course, that is to be expected since their styles are very different. Personally, I appriciate both of them and love Iced Earth with ether as the lead singer. I wished Schaeffer could have found a way to have used both for the finale of Something Wicked.

Jason

Ripper is a great singer. I just hope that someday he starts his own band so that he can go from being an erstwhile hired gun who replaces other legends to a legend in his own right.

Uh hello Mcfly?! lol Have none of y'all heard him w/ HIS Awesome band-Beyond Fear?! Man, he just simply kicks major, major ass in his band!!!! I cannot believe I'm the only one that has heard them?! Wtf?:OMG: But, I doubt I'm the ONLY one! lol That cd is awesome & so is Ripper's band!!!!!

I'm fucking jealous of you New Yorkers, because I've read the setlist from that show, and you guys not only got Pure Evil, but also The Coming Curse.

I agree with Zod on Barlow not being quite up to snuff with the Ripper stuff...they're just two different vocalists, and Barlow's range probably isn't completely right for the vocal lines that Ripper laid down on the songs on his two albums. That being said, I'll take that notion a step further and say how epicly disappointed I am that so much of their set this tour (and hell, PROG POWER) has been dedicated to songs that Barlow never sang on record. I mean...I understand that there are people that really love the Gettysburg trilogy and all...but I've seen that piece live before...on the tour for that album, with the singer it was intended to be performed with. Gettysburg is a long piece, and to take so much set time to try and perform it with Barlow (and not even with The Devil to Pay, which I think is the best of that particulary trilogy)...was a poor choice.

How many people are in each Iced Earth audience that either have never seen Barlow perform before (which included me) or who prefer him and couldn't fucking wait to hear him perform classics once again? I'd say a shit ton. Their encore set was solid (two from Something Wicked, one from the s/t), and I don't disagree with including some Ripper tracks (and I think Dec. Day and 10,000 Strong are great choices) and some new tracks (hell the album just came out...support it a little bit). However, I've seen this band play for well over 2 hours, and they could use a similar time to include tracks that I heard when I saw them with Ripper, that would have owned to finally see Barlow sing them. The Hunter, Pure Evil, Disciples of the Lie, Burnt Offerings, Angel's Holocaust, Travel in Stygian, Slave to the Dark, Violate, something from the original Something Wicked trilogy, Frankenstein, etc. etc. etc. There's so many great songs from their back catalogue that I think would have owned at ProgPower or on this tour...that I have been psyched at the possibility of seeing since Barlow decided to rejoin. I waited all day on Saturday at ProgPower hoping and praying that they weren't going to continue with the subpar setlist I'd seen on the tour dates prior, but when that became obvious and they weren't going to deviate from their plan, I left during Gettysburg (which didn't excite me at all with Barlow) and sat up in a chair during the rest of their set.

I don't know what it was about this topic that allowed me to decide on going on a rant like that...wonder if there's anyone out there that agrees with me.

Uh hello Mcfly?! lol Have none of y'all heard him w/ HIS Awesome band-Beyond Fear?! Man, he just simply kicks major, major ass in his band!!!! I cannot believe I'm the only one that has heard them?! Wtf?:OMG: But, I doubt I'm the ONLY one! lol That cd is awesome & so is Ripper's band!!!!!

I was wondering too. That album owns!!!!! The songwriting is 10x better than the last 2 IE records I think.

Uh hello Mcfly?! lol Have none of y'all heard him w/ HIS Awesome band-Beyond Fear?!

I would imagine most here have heard of Beyond Fear...you seem to have assumed too much & decided to be overly dramatic. The problem with BF is that it will probably be nothing more than a studio project...unless Tim gets out of his hired gun mode. Of course that's what pays the bills, so....

My bad! I was actually being sarcastic & not over dramatic. I apologize for sounding condescending to anyone in anyway, I assure you, I wasn't trying to, even If I sounded like I was, okay y'all? Anywho, well if BF are now nothing more than a one-off project, that just totally sucks ass, cause him & them kick serious major ass!!!!! Oh & one more thing, I just recently listened to IE-Framing Armageddon & I really, really loved it! Ripper's Awesomely great on it w/ Jon!!!!!!

I would imagine most here have heard of Beyond Fear...you seem to have assumed too much & decided to be overly dramatic. The problem with BF is that it will probably be nothing more than a studio project...unless Tim gets out of his hired gun mode. Of course that's what pays the bills, so....

.. But, I doubt I'm the ONLY one! lol That cd is awesome & so is Ripper's band!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Don't overly concern yourself with Ascension.

Ripper could sing Matt's songs and, although obviously it was not the same thing, he sounded adequate. On the other hand, Matt can not handle Ripper's material at all.

I was wondering too. That album owns!!!!! The songwriting is 10x better than the last 2 IE records I think.
Personally, I find the lyrics, melodies and music of Beyond Fear completely generic. I'd like to see Tim hooked up with musicians of his caliber. He's got enough cache at this point, there's no reason he can't attract some top flight players.

Zod

Agreed. Beyond Fear was a letdown because the song craft was beyond hope. Here's hoping his management (Wendy Dio?) can send Tim to Ronnie for guidance (solo record).

Personally, I find the lyrics, melodies and music of Beyond Fear completely generic. I'd like to see Tim hooked up with musicians of his caliber. He's got enough cache at this point, there's no reason he can't attract some top flight players.

Zod

wow...I guess I'm the only person who enjoyed Barlow doing the Ripper stuff. I thought it sounded great. Really enjoyed it.

No bro, I'm in that same boat as you. I feel that he does the ripper stuff a great justice. I realize that they are not the same singer, and so I listen to it with that in mind, and I feel that Barlow can pull off any of the songs that Tim are on, albeit with a different approach. Barlow's version of The Clouding is amazing.

Brent

I think the Japanese label is forcing Yngwie to remaster Owens' vocals on Perpetual Flame :lol:

This has to be about the fifth time the release date has been changed.

Hi. Thank you for shopping at CDJapan.

We have just received an update from
the distributor.
The release date of the following item(s) has
been changed from 2008/10/29 to 2008/11/12.
=============================================
UICE-9076
Yngwie Malmsteen / Perpetual Flame
CDA 3429yen Released : 2008/11/12

I echoed this in my PP9 comments....I think Barlow is awesome, but he cannot sing like Ripper and shouldn't try. It really diminishes the work.

Given that a lot of TGB, and especially Gettysburg is my personal favorite IE work, this bums me out for sure. Just saw Ripper again with Yngwie a week or so ago, and he's amazing.

Agreed. I wish Yngwie would headline the pre-show for PPX.

I echoed this in my PP9 comments....I think Barlow is awesome, but he cannot sing like Ripper and shouldn't try. It really diminishes the work.

Given that a lot of TGB, and especially Gettysburg is my personal favorite IE work, this bums me out for sure. Just saw Ripper again with Yngwie a week or so ago, and he's amazing.