Have you ever re-tracked someone elses parts?

yes, and i've retracked drums before. didnt tell them... drums were not tracked to a grid, and they were unusable. it was 100% sample replaced though so they didnt know haha. actually played the kick parts on my snare :)

yeah, this happens way too often.

if the bass player struggles for over 5 minutes, i automatically whip out the big stick and tell the guitarist to record the bass, giving him a 30 second lesson on how to play bass well.

To many clams?
images

Was trying to find the poster Joe Barresi has in his studio. Yes it happens, a lot. Mostly with Bass players, unfortunately for me being a bass player makes it that much worse watching them fail.

I did it too....bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and does a guitar solo for the band. this was a pop-project and they were very happy with the result.

Haha, just picked my basses up from Schecter so I can re track bass for this bands EP. I totally won't feel bad in the morning either after I track it, because this band was solid. Too solid to be let down by a weak bass player with an even worse sounding bass.

I confess : I did it !

I had did such a lot of mistakes tracking the guitars (the tone was absolutely crap) that I felt guilty. I retracked guitars : no waste of time for the band ! It was a kind of imitation game for me. Difficult but cool in the end.