circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
He is Legend – I Am Hollywood
Solid State Records – November 2nd, 2004
By Jason Jordan

heislegend.jpg

This is the quintet’s return from 91025, and I Am Hollywood is a satisfying release – although, it won’t fulfill your needs unless you feel like eating lighter than usual.

“The Seduction” is an excellent introduction as the pop-punk troupe whimsically traipses through. The chorus is, unabashedly, a high point on the album that will remain in your memory for weeks. Clean vocals and screams interweave, once again. The production is flawless, and all instruments sound as they should in the overall mix. “Eating a Book” is ushered in with just a simple drumbeat. Some parts of the aforementioned could seemingly segue directly into a song by The Old Dead Tree, referring to melody only. “The Creature Walks” has a pleasure-inducing opening, but blends into an unoriginal motif. “The Greatest Actor Alive…(Enters Stage Right)” is grating upon inception; fortunately, however, the driving force of the infectious riffing saves the song from immediate mediocrity. The lines of “doots” that lace the song’s chorus are a great addition. “China White” conveys a sense of melancholia, and remains somber the rest of the time. “…Best in Mexico” is mind-bending with its inclusion of innumerable effects, but latter parts of the composition are bland. “The Walls have Teeth” retains a catchiness, and “You Think I’m Pretty?” oddly enough is reminiscent of hat trick rockers Grammatrain. “Dinner with a Gypsy” has a mesmerizing beginning. “I Am Hollywood” finally utilizes the strangeness that invaded “The Seduction.” The former is one of He is Legend’s angriest moments on the disc. And, it’s one of their better. The song aptly closes I Am Hollywood.

This album isn’t going to cause any major waves within any of the forerunning genres you could confine He is Legend to. But, it’s a reasonable accomplishment for those with an oh-so-empty discography. Also, the artwork is some of the best I’ve ever beheld in a CD release, and the references to pop-culture icons are priceless.

7.5/10

Official He is Legend website
Official Solid State Records website