Headphone Amp Q

-Noodles-

3 Initals Mixer
Dec 20, 2007
Hey,..

Quick question.. I'm tracking a solo acoustic singer / song writer this week - but I need a headphone amp to provide him a mix in the back room..

So, as cheap as is acceptable please!

Thanks guys.

if you're realistically only gonna be using it on this project, then just grab a Behringer, if not then a ART or Samson should do you just fine tbh.

here's food for thought though, what about just letting him record vocals and guitar at the same time? no need for a headphone mix then, and will get a much more natural performance out of him.

i tend to use a pair of SDC's in a coincident pair between the soundhole/12th fret to capture the guitar, a cardiod LDC to capture the vocals, and a spaced pair of omni mics to get the room ambience. dim the lights and you should get a really natural, relaxed take.

if you're realistically only gonna be using it on this project, then just grab a Behringer, if not then a ART or Samson should do you just fine tbh.

here's food for thought though, what about just letting him record vocals and guitar at the same time? no need for a headphone mix then, and will get a much more natural performance out of him.

i tend to use a pair of SDC's in a coincident pair between the soundhole/12th fret to capture the guitar, a cardiod LDC to capture the vocals, and a spaced pair of omni mics to get the room ambience. dim the lights and you should get a really natural, relaxed take.

Fo sho

~006

I am / will be trying that stuff out... unfortunately.. he plays to a click!

So I need to give him some sort of headphone mix.

Thanks for the information though.

So, low end HPAs are okay?

If he doesn't want to use ear bud headphones, then I will let him borrow my DT250s :)

I really haven't got much in the way of stuff at the house.. proper GAS right now!!

If you have a spare power amp like a hi-fi or something you can adapt that with a 3 resistors, a TRS socket and two coax plugs. And some solder. Cheap 'nuff?
http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm
If you don't solder, you can always just twist the wires together and blob on some hot-melt glue or Araldite. Shoddy, but works fine for non-critical stuff like monitoring purposes.

yeah i know, but means I have to settle for gear which I'd rather save up and get something more acceptable.

Ah well,.. kick off is tomorrow :) first all acoustic-guitar session.
had a try out today with my mics, and got some good sounds.. so just gotta wait till tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks guys!!

With Logic, I can only get a one sided stereo output into the headphones...

Is there a way I can split 13-14 into 13 only??

Thanks guys!