headphone monitoring for musicians while tracking

Killing Angels

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2004
London
www.crydebris.com
Hi, *big breath, somewhat lengthy-worded inquiry*...

I was just wondering how you guys went about setting up headphone monitoring for musicians while tracking. I'm recording some friends soon and they have tons of tempo changes, solo instrument moments, etc. and want to work without a click track (which I normally like to do). The idea is to track drums and a scratch/guide guitar track simultaneously, two musicians at once, helping to conduct each other since I don't think they'll be too tight (or have the "feel" they want) without the live interaction.

I would like to setup a means for both of them to hear some guide guitars without needing a guitar amp cranked up and bleeding into drum mics.

Any suggestions? A headphone amp with multiple outs?

Here's my idea so far: I have a pod xt pro to hand, and was thinking of letting the guitarist monitor himself through the headphone out on that in the control room, whilst feeding the output of the pod into a mixing desk and into headphones running into the live room for the drummer. They could look at each other through the glass I guess, or even both stand in the live room to help conduct each other, since guitars would be isolated to just a headphone mix.. Is this practical or would it be worth getting a dedicated headphone amp with multiple outs of some sort as a long-term investment.

Soz this is so wordy, any help'd be appreciated. Thanks.

It's practical enough to use the POD, but it would mean the guitarist would not be able to hear the drummer (unless you use the aux input of the POD to give the guitarist a stereo mix of the drums).

Personally I prefer a seperate headphone amplifier, I use an Alto (cheap but for headphones it does fine) 4-channel 12-output one. It allows for four seperate stereo mixes to be sent to 12 different headphones (3 headphones per mix) and you have enough options to keep the musicians happy. It only cost £75 from turnkey *shudders at the thought of that shop*.

Thanks for the advice. And OMG, I totally agree about Turnkey!!! Good prices but the service is SOOO bad. Had to wait nearly three weeks for an order from them to come in when they actually quote next day to two working days delivery.

You going to the Nevermore show? Hopefully seeya there. :headbang: