Headphone Recommendations?

MysticX9

Feb 27, 2002
Macon, GA
My Grado's are shot due to wear and tear, I need some recommendations for good headphones around $100. Sennheisers have been my favorites so far...

Thanks for any help!

Neal

I've used Sennheisers for a long time and my in ear system is also Sennheiser but for only $30 you can get a pair of Koss UR-20's and personally they are the same quality. I've let people borrow mine and at least 6-7 people have ran out and bought a pair. For the price you can't go wrong. I even recorded my last 2 albums with them (vocals). =)

I use Shure E2's, which are small buds that go pretty deep into the ear canal. They do an excellent job of sealing off the canal to outside noise and offer excellent depth of sound, so I like them a lot. I took them with me to Japan this summer, and after spending two and a half months bumbing around the country on the rail system, let me tell you: having headphones this small with sound this great, for less than $100, is a godsent. Plus, they stay in your ears very well, so they're good for exercising...if that's your thing.

For earbuds I really like the Etymotic ER-6's, similar to the shure's they seal in the ear canal giving you better noise reduction than noise reducing headphones. They sound great as well. For normal headphones, well you're getting rid of what I use so i'm not much help there. Though I do wanna upgrade to Senn's. The Grados are so uncomfortable, and I can't stand how the cans spin all the way around, I'm constantly having to unwind the cables.

MysticX9 said:
My Grado's are shot due to wear and tear, I need some recommendations for good headphones around $100. Sennheisers have been my favorites so far...

Thanks for any help!

Neal

Neal, if you have used Grados for a while, most other headphones will seem very bright. THe Grado SR80s are a poor man's audiophile set. They have a flat response and it will take you a while to learn to deal with Sennheisers or other phones. You either have to get another set of Grados or you have to deal with a new musical experience. \\\\

Bryant

Yeah, I quite liked the Grados but my Sennheiser HD 545s have been my favorites so far, real comfortable with great sound. I'll probably shop around and do some comparison listening before buying, appeciate the suggestions!

Neal