Headphones

orgy in blood

New Metal Member
Apr 10, 2004
My $25 pair of Jensens stopped working, so I finally had an excuse to buy better headphones for home use. After reading reviews, I settled on mail-ordering the Grado SR60 for about $70, which I'm waiting to arrive.

Most have said that the SR60 just give a really true, crisp sound. Some have complained about weak bass, but I hate headphones that OVER-emphasize bass. Metal ain't hip hop.

Anyone use the SR60? Any comments?

Actually a huge bass sound would be good for something like 'the black album' but would not ne so suitable for a Darkthrone album. Well that is just my opinion.

hey, what are some good headphone brands anyway?
i have a problem with "wear and tear", and its cost me $60 already (in 1 month)

I'm breaking in my Grados which arrived today. I like them.

Grado and Sennheiser both have good reputations for sound. Based on experience, I don't like Jensen or Sony. I had a good pair of cheap Koss phones last me a few years. As for durability, it depends on what you'll use them for. I only use my headphones at home, so they don't get thrown around or trashed too much.

I read reviews on AudioReview before settling on the SR60. It's a good site.

Tye said:
expensive. The most I have spent on headphones is £10. If the sound is clear, that is all that matters to me.
At home, I use headphones 90% of the time, so I don't mind spending enough to get a pair that sound really nice. And actually, there are phones out there that are alot more expensive.

AKG 270 S
I have had these for 5 years now and they still sound great.
They did cost around 200 bucks but they were well worth the
price.
You can hear the bass very well, but it is not overemphasized.
Everything is clear and the separation is wonderful.

orgy in blood said:
My $25 pair of Jensens stopped working, so I finally had an excuse to buy better headphones for home use. After reading reviews, I settled on mail-ordering the Grado SR60 for about $70, which I'm waiting to arrive.

Most have said that the SR60 just give a really true, crisp sound. Some have complained about weak bass, but I hate headphones that OVER-emphasize bass. Metal ain't hip hop.

Anyone use the SR60? Any comments?

erhm, i think bass is extremly important for metal, and besides if you pay 70 dollars you should be able to get a pair where you don't have to sacrifce one for the other.

i'm pretty picky when it comes to sound quality and therefore i use headphones almost exclusivly, speakers can't handle metal in a good way unless you're willing to pay pretty much for them. i use a pair of AKG K271which is a really good pair of headphones; good bass, clear treble and sound and good isolation.

I agree that bass is important, and I never said it wasn't.

What I dislike is the bass overpowering everything else in the mix due to some lame 'enhanced' bass feature. This is something I've run into with alot of the cheaper(sub-$30) phones I've tried, and it seems to be something that mainstream music listeners eat up.

Anyway, I have no complaints about lack of/too much bass with my Grados.

I have a Audigy 2 ZS, plus my music player can play at a floating point up to 32 bit audio,
also, it has alot of specials, gap killer, sound filter, enhancements, etc
Plus my Boston 2.1 speakers with the EAX console sound excellent..
go here http://www.foobar2000.org/
i have the "special" version which has

I took a S/shot of the bar with all the goodies
look.

20055.jpg

orgy in blood said:
I agree that bass is important, and I never said it wasn't.

What I dislike is the bass overpowering everything else in the mix due to some lame 'enhanced' bass feature. This is something I've run into with alot of the cheaper(sub-$30) phones I've tried, and it seems to be something that mainstream music listeners eat up.

Anyway, I have no complaints about lack of/too much bass with my Grados.

Agreed with you there mate, when i go round to friends houses and listen to some metal i hate it when they turn on their 'bass enhancing' bollocks, it does drown out the sound, i like my bass to have a sharp kick to it...not really loud and flabby.

Anyway i rekon Sennheiser would be your best bet, they arent that expensive either.