Heads up: "Until the Light Takes Us" streaming on Netflix

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Until_the_Light_Takes_Us/70128352?trkid=496624#height97

Until the Light Takes Us
2008 NR 93 minutes

Taking viewers deep inside the notorious "Inner Circle" that promoted murder, suicide and church burning in the Norwegian black metal subculture of the 1990s, filmmakers Aaron Aites and Audrey Ewell offer up a nuanced and fascinating documentary. Rare footage and interviews with musicians -- including Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell, Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes and Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg -- shed light on the controversial movement.

Cast:Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes, Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell, Harmony Korine, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg, Kjetil "Frost" Haraldstad Director: Aaron Aites, Audrey Ewell Genres: Documentary, Rockumentaries, Rock & Pop, Blu-ray This movie is: Cerebral, Dark, Understated Format: DVD, Blu-ray and streaming.

70128352.jpg

My girlfriend and I went to a screening of this documentary. It was pretty humorous, but I have always found the black metal thing pretty funny. I like the scene where ol' Count is talking about how he is against the whole idea of globalization meanwhile he is sitting in front of a computer. Of course it is not as funny as the outtakes with the guy from Gorgoroth on METAL : A Headbanger's Journey DVD.
When I saw the documentary a black metal band was to play after the film. They stood in the back in all their spooky glory and corpse paint as we all watched this film that interviewed older black metal bands who ragged on the newer ones who still buy into all of that stuff. It was kind of funny and ironic.
Seriously guys when your heroes are laughing at you and saying let it go then maybe it's time to rethink things.

The scene where Hellhammer reveals his homophobia was really upsetting to me, especially considering his fashion sense.

hellhammermayhemdimmubobu6.jpg

Nice scene-kid belt brah. Don't you have a Whitechapel concert to go to instead of calling other people "faggots"?

When I saw the documentary a black metal band was to play after the film. They stood in the back in all their spooky glory and corpse paint as we all watched this film that interviewed older black metal bands who ragged on the newer ones who still buy into all of that stuff. It was kind of funny and ironic.
Seriously guys when your heroes are laughing at you and saying let it go then maybe it's time to rethink things.

I think you missed the point completely...

The scene where Hellhammer reveals his homophobia was really upsetting to me, especially considering his fashion sense.

I felt the same way when I saw it. The only way I can even think about giving him a pass for it is if he was making a derogatory remark about only the person in question, as there was an allusion in Lords of Chaos to the idea that the man who ended up dead had drugged Faust and tried to rape him, and that some considered the incident an act of self-defense. I suspect, however, that I'm giving him too much credit, as Hellhammer has shown himself to be fairly unenlightened on several occasions.

I felt the same way when I saw it. The only way I can even think about giving him a pass for it is if he was making a derogatory remark about only the person in question, as there was an allusion in Lords of Chaos to the idea that the man who ended up dead had drugged Faust and tried to rape him, and that some considered the incident an act of self-defense. I suspect, however, that I'm giving him too much credit, as Hellhammer has shown himself to be fairly unenlightened on several occasions.

Yeah I think he's said that bm is "white people metal" before or something like that. He's nuts but he's generally quiet about it.

Well, he had no problem contributing to Antestor so i guess he's...a -little bit- open minded...?

Maybe you are right as you are on everything else I apparently "missed the point" on. So since you are right on point please enlighten me, or humor me.?
I think I got the point just fine.

It's not a matter of newer bands 'buying into it', it's a matter of newer bands trying to play a part in something they had nothing to do with. Those earlier bands/projects -- your Mayhems and your Burzums and your Absurds -- were all actually PART of the scene. They were associated with the church burnings. They were associated with the murders. The newer bands were just people who thought that shit was cool and tried to emulate the music and the fashion but had no uh, lifestyle? It's like the 22 year old kids today with their hightop white shoes, skinny jeans, and denim vests. Yeah, they look the part, and they play the thrash, but it's not genuine.

But what do I know. I'm just some skinny white kid who likes scary music.

It's not a matter of newer bands 'buying into it', it's a matter of newer bands trying to play a part in something they had nothing to do with. Those earlier bands/projects -- your Mayhems and your Burzums and your Absurds -- were all actually PART of the scene. They were associated with the church burnings. They were associated with the murders. The newer bands were just people who thought that shit was cool and tried to emulate the music and the fashion but had no uh, lifestyle? It's like the 22 year old kids today with their hightop white shoes, skinny jeans, and denim vests. Yeah, they look the part, and they play the thrash, but it's not genuine.

But what do I know. I'm just some skinny white kid who likes scary music.

Yeah I got that too. Still it was funny, maybe I'll watch it again and find the exact comment for ya.
So stretch jeans and high tops could be compared to the uniforms of black metallers but don't think the movements can in anyway. Black metal seemed more similar to British punk or 60s hippies over here. Like all music movements based in social ideals we would see the humor and hypocrisy after it was all over.

Yeah I got that too. Still it was funny, maybe I'll watch it again and find the exact comment for ya.
So stretch jeans and high tops could be compared to the uniforms of black metallers but don't think the movements can in anyway. Black metal seemed more similar to British punk or 60s hippies over here. Like all music movements based in social ideals we would see the humor and hypocrisy after it was all over.

It doesn't make you some sort of great poststructuralist that you're able to deconstruct the scene and find the hypocrisy inside it. They were like 18 year old kids dude.

I mean it's entirely possible that I'm confusing bits of this movie with some other BM documentary. There's definitely enough out there.

This one is completely worth it just for Fenriz.

It doesn't make you some sort of great poststructuralist that you're able to deconstruct the scene and find the hypocrisy inside it. They were like 18 year old kids dude.

yep I realize that too. Uusally I just sum it up by saying they were nothing but spoiled brats trying to get attention. Well I took the 'spoiled brats" thing from Justin when we were discussing "Lords of Chaos" once.
But for sake of argument I suppose you are suggesting that a 15 year old cannot have social conscious, ideals, a "reason"? You do realize that throughout history 15 year old kids have led countries, fought in wars, etc. So I think it would be ignorant to suggest that could not have a "purpose" if you will no matter how warped it is.
So yeah for that I think I could dissect this. And obviously it is there to be looked at or there would not be books about it and um... a f@#kin documentary explaining the "movement" and what it is was about.

sigh

didn't you say a while back that you refuse to stock bands whose logos you can't read or something like that? When did you become the black metal expert?