Heads up: "Until the Light Takes Us" streaming on Netflix

It's like the 22 year old kids today with their hightop white shoes, skinny jeans, and denim vests. Yeah, they look the part, and they play the thrash, but it's not genuine.

That's funny, considering the number of times you slam me for calling out bands that I find to not be genuine........

Interesting when it involved a genre that you are NOT a fan of...

sigh

didn't you say a while back that you refuse to stock bands whose logos you can't read or something like that? When did you become the black metal expert?

By saying that I was not suggesting that I do not listen to black metal or read about it, etc. So perhaps you "miss the point". Not even sure I actually said I "refuse" to carry black metal.
I own albums by Gorgoroth, Dark Throne, Immortal, Opera XI, and several others. Hell I even released a black metal band. Though I never recall saying or suggesting to be an "expert" on black metal, I guess I would be as much as anyone in a "progressive power metal" forum.
But seriously black metal is very difficult to deal with simply because it is hard to read. but maybe that is the point. These bands don't want anyone to hear them. Somehow in the logic of the "underground" not being heard and known seems to make bands more popular there.

That's funny, considering the number of times you slam me for calling out bands that I find to not be genuine........

1) I don't think I ever have

and

2) I'm talking about the early 90's black metaller presented in the movie, not my own POV. I dig plenty of 'untrue' stuff.

Where did he say those bands aren't genuine?

2) I'm talking about the early 90's black metaller presented in the movie, not my own POV. I dig plenty of 'untrue' stuff.

Well, fair enough, though were you not speaking in your example of the young high-top wearing thrash bands in the same sense?

As far as true or untrue, I am a fan of the Sword! :)
If I like a band I like a band, though at the same time I can't argue if someone calls them not genuine.

WTF are you talking about???
Look at the exact line that I quoted him on where he specifically spoke of the modern young thrash bands who dress the part, but in "his" words, are not genuine.................

I'm not going to really dig into this out of respect for Glenn, but A) he was clearly playing devil's advocate, and B) he clearly implied via his devil's advocacy that the idea of bands who missed out of the 80's scene and dress the part aren't genuine as far as aesthetic goes. Not their sound, or that he doesn't like the bands. He listens to tons of retro re-thrash, as he's mentioned tons of times, so how could you possibly interpret that his statement was meant to highlight how he hates the genre is beyond me.

I think alot of bands aren't geniune these days as far as their aesthetic goes, but that doesn't mean I don't like their music.

I'm not going to really dig into this out of respect for Glenn, but A) he was clearly playing devil's advocate, and B) he clearly implied via his devil's advocacy that the idea of bands who missed out of the 80's scene and dress the part aren't genuine as far as aesthetic goes. Not their sound, or that he doesn't like the bands. He listens to tons of retro re-thrash, as he's mentioned tons of times, so how could you possibly interpret that his statement was meant to highlight how he hates the genre is beyond me.

I think alot of bands aren't geniune these days as far as their aesthetic goes, but that doesn't mean I don't like their music.

Ok, fair enough.....
Apparently I focused on the later end of his post only.....

Ok, fair enough.....
Apparently I focused on the later end of his post only.....

Maybe. Clarity's never been my strong point, either. I can see how you'd have been confused.

One thing I forgot to mention about this documentary: skip the scenes with Frost's 'performance art.' Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Maybe. Clarity's never been my strong point, either. I can see how you'd have been confused.

It's all good. I just checked, and the Chicago Axis still approves of you! :)

I imagine there are a lot of hilarious moments in that movie.
I would love to see it sometime, even though I really dislike almost all of what the second wave of black metal was all about, even though I do like some of the bands.

One thing I forgot to mention about this documentary: skip the scenes with Frost's 'performance art.' Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

thank you. I hated the whole "performance art thing" myself. It wasnt needed in the film.

One point that I did really like is when the guy from Dark Throne was talking about how the newer stuff is what people should be getting all up in arms about since it is more darker and explicit than the earlier stuff. This is something that I have thought about on lots of different levels in society. Look back like 20 years and what was "over the top" and "cutting edge" compared to what we see now on TV and movies and in music. It makes you wonder if as a society if we have been desensitized as we progress into the future. Not that it is a bad thing but it makes you wonder what people will have to do to top themselves or become groundbreaking in the future.

There were lots of interesting things in the doc but just as it was getting really interesting in parts it would change over to something not as interesting. It is hard to do something like this and present it in under 2 hours since there is so much history and stuff to discuss.

It has been getting shown on the IFC Channel once in a while. I saw it a few months back one night. I think they played it last month too.

I also recommend checking out Iron Maiden and the NWOBHM doc that is out there. While the cover art looks like it is one of those cheap videos it is really informative and has some great interviews with lots of people from that era and some great stories.

Watched the film yesterday.
I pretty much lived through this whole scene in Scandinavia at the time.

Honestly, we always saw these guys in a bit different light. England and Italy had their soccer hooligans, Germany had the skinheads and Norway had these guys. It was never really about music at all (IMO), but just a bunch of bored, unemployed guys looking for an outlet to spew their dislike of society (like the skins and the hooligans).

I think the Black Metal movement has evolved a hell of a lot since then and these days there are actually bands that are REALLY good.

Play a Watain album after an early Mayhem album and listen... You never want to play that Mayhem album again (IMO)

I always had to laugh whenever I saw this CD Comp....
2360.jpg

It's basically screaming, "Hey 13 year old impressionable suburban kid!! This is the scary heavy metal your parents warned you about!!!!"