Heart of Cygnus

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
Here's a cool band from the US, they walk the line between 70s classic/prog rock and 80s heavy metal skillfully. Think Iron Maiden meets Queen in Kansas. That might sound like they're a retro band but this is not the case (nothing wrong with a good retro band like Presto Ballet though). Very fresh sounding stuff. Fans of Icarus Witch will enjoy this for sure!

They have two albums out: Utopia (2007) and Over Mountain, Under Hill (2009), which they sell exclusively through their website (+iTunes etc). Ordered both last week. They're also set to appear in next year's KIT festival which is a bit of an oddball pick for them IMO but it's all good.

Also, coolest album cover of the year:
l_a9fb86ba5d814d55a6f9fe78216c00fe.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/heartofcygnus

Great so far, nothing wrong with a bit of Kansas. This is only two guys and their influences list looks like it could be mine. Some really interesting guitar tones here, not extremely gain saturated but they work well, hmm. Revelations is one of my favorite Maiden songs. I think Im going to buy this one.......

Not crazy about the guitar tone, but the songwriting is great! If it's only two guys, how do they do shows? Just add some hired hands?

I don't know if they've done any shows, but it seems they're looking for a bass player and a second guitarist at the moment.

This really is an exceptionally good band. My album order actually arrived last week but the Finnish customs are being dicks and require me to pick it up personally at the customs office... oh well. Been replaying the stuff on their Myspace in the meantime. :cool:

Yeah Tsorl, I really like it, I can hear all the influences and great personal character too. I have played their myspace many times since you posted it. They do have photos of playing gigs on there, so they may very well have pre-record other tracks they play along with. This has not been uncommon for live solo or duet acts that play small clubs, ski mountain lodges, lounges ect. for years now.