Heathen Crusade Homebrew?!

What Brew?

• Total voters

swizzlenuts

i'm sciencing as fast as i can
Apr 21, 2003
Arkham
A fellow HC attendee (Ben aka LongJohn) and I have been homebrewing lately, and I am probably gonna bring a few brews up for the RC fellows (Jerry, Mike, Eric, Ali, Jason, Max, etc); however, I was thinking about brewing a batch specifically for HC.

I don't want to brew mead, but what style should I bring up? I was thinking an American style to show those Europeans some great American beer and just in general for a cheap awesome beer.

I only have the capacity to brew 5 gallons, more than likely. We should figure this out soon, if a big beer has been decided.

EDIT: I really don't want to lager either, so ales please :kickass:

The Imperial Stout and Barleywine will probably be the worst to choose because it won't be aged very long.

Well, generally you can get RIS in Europe, so I was thinking like a chocolate or coffee RIS, which is pretty much a double. That means we'll have to brew that this weekend.

Well, generally you can get RIS in Europe, so I was thinking like a chocolate or coffee RIS, which is pretty much a double. That means we'll have to brew that this weekend.

Man, I like me some stouts but when you double it up, it could be a bit much. What's the American Red like?

By the way, is Frank making it up this year?

An American double imperial stout isn't really double an imperial stout, it's either infused with something like coffee or chocolate or aged in an oak barrel. It's really a small distinction.

An American red is a very vague definition, it can range from very malty red looking beer to a hoppy red looking beer. However, both usually have a pronounced caramel sweetness and a very big malt backbone. It has the American yeast and American hops in it for sure though, and usually more alcohol than the Irish versions

Something super hoppy... I want the hoppy taste of nice hops to hop in my mouth.

Can do!

I think this is going to be my grain bill:

10 pounds 2 row pale malt
2 pound 60L crystal malt

Hops:
1 oz warrior
4 oz cascade (2 oz for dry hoping)

5.5-6.3 ABV and 88 IBUs

Should look like this:

pint-15.png

Hmm, I can just imagine what "swizzlenut juice" may be. Other than that, I'll try most of those, really. :)