Heaven and Hell at Radio City Music Hall

speedy1383

Sep 22, 2005
Anyone go see this concert on Friday? I am just curious to hear how they sounded and if the place was packed. I really hope they do make a second US trek.

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how it went as well-- all the accounts I've read of various Canadian shows were all extremely positive regarding the sound/performance, with attendance ranging from 7000 on up, varying city to city.

I'm guessing Radio City was packed as it sold out in minutes or something.

The show was AMAZING. I had 7th row seats, though they were pretty much all the way on the right (stage left) (Iommi's side!), and there was the occasional camera boom blocking the view. Dio sounded great all night, though it took him 1-2 songs to get into form, but when he did he was untouchable. The set was great, everyone played great, Geezer REALLY impressed the hell out of me. Great sound, great crowd interaction, I can't wait to see this DVD.

I was there too, and it was an amazing show! I was about 40 rows back and the sound was excellent. The placed was packed as well and just about everybody was on their feet for the entire show!

The DVD should be killer!

I can't wait to see them with Megadeth and Machine Head on April 22!:headbang:
I'll be there at Dodge Theatre myself, along with some friends. VERY MUCH looking forward to it! I saw Sabbath with Dio at the Mesa Amphitheater in '92 on Dehumunanizer tour. Problem is, I was so fucked up that night that I don't remember it. On April 22nd, 2007, I finally get some redemption. I'll make sure to keep the "can"' count down so memories are still intact. :D

The show was beyond amazing, Bill & I were in 3rd mezz, which was high up but we were there and that's all that matters! I am still buzzing from the show, and we will also be at the PNC show in May! Can't wait! :headbang:

Here is the setlist from the Radio City show:

E5150 (Intro)
After All (The Dead)
The Mob Rules
Children of the Sea
Lady Evil
I
The Sign of the Southern Cross ***my favorite so of course I went nuts :lol:***
Voodoo
The Devil Cried
Vinny Appice Drum Solo
Computer God
Falling Off the Edge of the World
Shadow of the Wind
Tony Iommi Solo/Die Young
Heaven and Hell

Encore:
Lonely is the Word
Neon Knights

IMO - They should've gone right into Mob Rules after E5150 just like on the album. Ronnie James Dio is no doubt one of the Godfathers of Metal and never disappoints!

The N.Y. show at Radio City rocked, but I don't think it was an extended set like they promoted it to be previously. Plus, I would've loved to have heard "Turn Up the Night". I also agree "The Mob Rules" should've been right after "E5150". All in all it was an INCREDIBLE show!

Strange they didn't play Ear in the Wall. That one sounds like the best of the 3 new songs. Someone on another board said that the song was on the setlist, but they didn't play it for some reason.

It was the best (sound) mixed show I have ever seen, and I have been attending metal shows since 1980.

The musicianship was great, stage set etc.

I just wish they had ended with WISHING WELL. Would have been a nice nod to the fans given the words in the song. Especially the line at the end:

I WISH YOU WELL

I can't wait for this show. I am going to the April 25th show in L.A.. From the reviews here and on other sites the reviews are all positive. I pre-ordered my cd "Black Sabbath the Dio Years " so I just waiting by the mailbox.

If anyone has a chance, pick up SABBATH, BLOODY SABBATH - THE BATTLE FOR BLACK SABBATH by Garry Sharpe Young. It is an excellent history book that is a great read for anyone who is into this band.

I guess the unions were to blame for the shorter setlist and "Ear in the Wall" not being played. Here is the story about that from Dio himself:

Launch Radio Networks reports: The BLACK SABBATH offshoot HEAVEN AND HELL shot a concert DVD at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on Friday (March 30). By all accounts, the band's performance was great, with some long-time fans calling it the group's best show ever, but things didn't go as smoothly behind the scenes as they could have. Lead singer Ronnie James Dio told Launch that New York City union issues reared up hours before the concert even began. "We didn't have enough time for a soundcheck because the union went, 'OK, time for a break,'" he said. "'But we've only done half a song.' 'Time for a break.' 'But we've got 15 minutes left.' 'We said, time for a break.' You know that way that goes. So, all in all, it was more difficult than it should have been — but it is a city show, and that's what you've gotta put up with."

There were plans to lengthen the setlist for Radio City, but having soundcheck cut meant the band couldn't properly rehearse. They were planning to add the new track "Ear in the Wall" that's on the new album "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years", which comes out tomorrow (Tuesday, April 3).