HEAVEN AND HELL Begins Recording New Album

tsorl

Borne on Wings of Steel
Aug 3, 2003
Finland
www.ollischroderus.fi
This is from Blabbermouth:
HEAVEN AND HELL — the band featuring BLACK SABBATH members Ronnie James Dio (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Vinny Appice (drums) — has entered Rockfield studios in Wales, England to begin recording its new album, the group's first since SABBATH's "Dehumanizer" (which was also recorded at Rockfield) in 1992. An early 2009 release via Rhino Records is expected.

Two years ago, Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice reunited to record a trio of new songs for Rhino's "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" before launching a highly anticipated and greatly acclaimed world tour under their new moniker HEAVEN AND HELL. Revitalized by the reunion, the lineup is back in the studio now recording the first-ever full-length studio album from HEAVEN AND HELL. To whet the fans' appetites for the new album, HEAVEN AND HELL returned to the road this past summer for a short stint on the Metal Masters Tour, a month-long North American trek with JUDAS PRIEST, MOTÖRHEAD, and TESTAMENT.

Regarding the band's decision to continue to operate as HEAVEN AND HELL rather than BLACK SABBATH, Iommi told Billboard.com earlier this year, "It really is BLACK SABBATH, whatever we do. We just choose to go out as HEAVEN AND HELL so everyone knows what they're getting [and] so people won't expect to hear 'Iron Man' and all those songs. We've done them for so many years, it's nice to do just all the stuff with did with Ronnie again."

HEAVEN AND HELL will hit the road in early 2009 in support of the new album. So far the following shows have been announced:

June 3-6 - Sölvesborg, Sweden - Sweden Rock Festival
June 19-21 - Clisson, France - Hellfest

The new songs on The Dio Years were nothing special and personally I think the last truly awesome music by any of the gentlemen involved was Black Sabbath's Tyr but... it is Dio with Sabbath so of course every old school metalhead worth his salt is looking forward to this.

I'm not expecting anything that will rival H&H (the song), but it's great to see that they're in the studio & I'll be all over the new album.

The new songs on The Dio Years were nothing special and personally I think the last truly awesome music by any of the gentlemen involved was Black Sabbath's Tyr but... it is Dio with Sabbath so of course every old school metalhead worth his salt is looking forward to this.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that appreciates TYR, a much underrated album. And yes, since I'm an old school metalhead that's worth his salt, I'm looking very much forward to this one.

They are goin to be under a big amount of pressure because most listeners will want another HAH or at least "Dehumanizer". I know they are still capable of coming with something really strong Iommi hasn't lost his touch (as proven by his last solo album with Glenn Hughes) in composition nor Dio, and the live album proved they still can play as well as 15 years ago. So let'sit tight, wait to see what will come and pray for the best result.

"Tyr" is a good album but the last good Sabbath album was "Cross Purposes", that mix of Martin on vocals era with Butler on bass is in my opinion a very underrated album.

"Tyr" is a good album but the last good Sabbath album was "Cross Purposes", that mix of Martin on vocals era with Butler on bass is in my opinion a very underrated album.

I agree with you regarding Cross Purposes - a very good and underrated album as you said, and indeed the last good Sabbath album.
Regarding the new Heaven and Hell album, I predict it will sound much like Dio's recents solo albums like Killing the Dragon and Master of the Moon, and not at all like Iommi's work with Glenn Hughes.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that appreciates TYR, a much underrated album. And yes, since I'm an old school metalhead that's worth his salt, I'm looking very much forward to this one.

I love TYR. One of my all time favorites... Best of Tony Martin era.

Check out allmusic's rating of Tyr if you need a good chuckle: Tyr

Awesome I saw them a few years ago when they toured with Megadeth and Down.
It was definatly in the Top 3 shows Ive ever seen, Im Psyched for this Album
to come out, I always liked Sabbath better with Dio.

They are goin to be under a big amount of pressure because most listeners will want another HAH or at least "Dehumanizer"....

Oh man, I have to dust off those albums!!!!!
I can't wait for the result.

Regarding the new Heaven and Hell album, I predict it will sound much like Dio's recents solo albums like Killing the Dragon and Master of the Moon, and not at all like Iommi's work with Glenn Hughes.

I respectfully disagree here, DD. The reason; Iommi. That man is the riff master (I think he dumps out a new riff every time he sits on the toilet), and I'm sure the album will be chocked full of grooving riffs. Not to diss Craig Goldy or Doug Aldrich, but they just never had the riff writing prowess that Iommi possesses (they are more "lead" guitar players).

I think the new album should AT LEAST match the 3 songs from Dio Years, and possibly better because they're taking more time to write the songs this time.

I believe it will sound a bit like the new songs from the boxset, but I agree with TSO that with enough time they'll bring back the spirit of stuff from "Dehumanizer" but fresher. The band is mature enough and intelligent not to try to repeat HAH or MR, they will go for a good recognizable sound but without sounding dated. And like I said before Iommi and Dio have a lot to offer still as composers (without forgetting Geezer).

Yeah, hopefully it will be killer. but then again this is fucking Heaven and Hell. I loved their last tracks off of their dio years album

I support any decision of theirs that would bring them on tour anywhere near Croatia, hehe... :D

Check out allmusic's rating of Tyr if you need a good chuckle: Tyr

I laughed my ass off at this, what a bunch of morons! :lol:

Allmusic said:
Moods

* Cold
* Hostile
* Angry
* Bleak
* Bitter
* Druggy
* Visceral
* Malevolent
* Wintry
* Gloomy
* Paranoid
* Ominous
* Menacing
* Intense
* Somber

HEAVEN AND HELL - the band featuring legendary BLACK SABBATH members Ronnie James Dio (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Vinny Appice (drums) - have been holed up at Rockfield Studios in Wales recording a new album, the group's first since the band's Dehumanizer (which was also recorded at Rockfield) in 1992. Butler has issued a very brief but "meaty" update:

"Hello Readers,

Finished the Heaven And Hell tracks today. Video-ing the Making Of tomorrow."

Peace,
Geezer

The monster is growing...