Heaven and Hell in Phoenix

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Boy am I glad I came out of retirement again. What an awesome show!

It was a perfect night. Turns out my buddy had a surprise for me and invited an old friend of ours from the old days (90s). Four of us went together, first time we'd all been together since 1999. We had such a great time reminiscing that we missed Megadeth (oops!). But our timing was perfect...we got there at intermission, loaded up the whiskeys and beers and headed for our seats. We barely got sat down and the lights went out. BLACK SABBATH WITH DIO, BABY!!:headbang:

I've been critical of Dio's voice recently, but he impressed me tonight. Sure, he can't hit the highs like he used to, but he can still belt out the tunes, especially the faster ones like Die Young and Neon Nights. Other than a few minor boo-boos (Dio admitted to forgetting some lyrics on Lady Evil), these guys were spot on tonight. Awesome sound, awesome performance. Iommi was graceful as always, Geezer was pounding on his bass like a madman and Vinny Appice did a killer solo. We all commented on the stage show afterward... a really cool castle set with spooky looking windows placed stategically. All kinds of cool things going on if you were paying attention. I think anyone planning on attending a future US tour show should be waiting with bated breath. If they can all stay healthy, these old geezers should deliver the goods.

On to the venue...Dodge Theatre in Phoenix. It's an actual theater, designed for sound! They had two giant video screens hanging on either side of the stage that showed close ups for those of us further in the back. The editing could of been better, but we were happy to have them since my buddy couldn't find his opera glasses. Great place to see a concert in comfort!

I had hoped to get you a setlist, but I lost my pen and was having too much fun to bother memorizing song titles. Also, no cameras allowed and I don't have a cell phone, so no pics. But YouTube has plenty if you really want to see what the show looks like.

YouTube doesn't do them justice though. You gotta be there in person! I can't wait for the dvd...

WOO HOO! BLACK SABBATH WITH DIO, BABY!

Also, no cameras allowed and I don't have a cell phone, so no pics.

Gld you have a ball with it (kind of envy too :p of course) . Still I don't understand the no cameras allowed policy, God that's idiotic.

I love to have a camera to have pics of me and my buddies at the gig, I don't give a shit to have pics of the band I'm not in the paparazzi business.

NP: Carnivore - 'Technophobia'

Awesome. I go tomorrow in San Jose. Can't wait.

I actually went to see A Perfect Circle and Mars Volta at the Dodge a couple of years ago. It's a fine place, and compared to here in California, the parking is a dream. Glad to hear you had a blast. I'll write a small report Wednesday!

2 more days!!!!! Thanks TSO I cannot wait for this show!!

You're gonna have a blast, Kitty! :Smokin:

Gld you have a ball with it (kind of envy too :p of course) . Still I don't understand the no cameras allowed policy, God that's idiotic.
As I understand it, the ban on cameras has to do with the new digital age where a digital camera can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes of video footage (like my camera). Still, all around me, all I saw was people taking shots with their cell phones. Didn't see a single camera (although I'm sure some folks managed to sneak one in).

NP: Trouble - Simple Mind Condition

Thanks a lot TSO! I had just gotten to where I was pretty low key about it and patiently waiting my turn. :lol:

Six days and counting...

Thanks a lot TSO! I had just gotten to where I was pretty low key about it and patiently waiting my turn. :lol:

Six days and counting...

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to trample all over your patience exercises! :D

Which is what I plan on doing! I can use set it to not flash and a high speed and just hope that they will come out.

Post your pics here if you get some, kitty! In fact, I should have titled the thread to be less Phoenix specific, that way we can all post our reviews of their US tour all in one thread.

Can't wait for the UK tour in November.

Have front standing tickets for London. No seat for me- just the freedom to get as close to or as far from the stage as I wish.

sounds great...I hope some people can take some shots for youtube or so, as I probably will not see H&H on this tour...

Sounds like a great time TSO. Hopefully we will get them down here in Florida on the second leg of the tour.:erk:

I was at the Phoenix show as well, Trans-Siberian Outcast, and can confirm everything you've said - the show ROCKED!! Dio was in top form, Iommi was more animated than usual and Geezer and Vinnie did their thing to keep the low end rumbling on. I also was impressed with the light show, the stage set is simple (a castle) but the lighting effects really added that extra touch.
Black Sabath (Heaven and Hell) with Dio - now THAT'S Old School.:worship: I reccomend EVERYONE to see this tour if you can manage it, you won't be dissapointed.

I was at the Phoenix show as well, Trans-Siberian Outcast, and can confirm everything you've said - the show ROCKED!! Dio was in top form, Iommi was more animated than usual and Geezer and Vinnie did their thing to keep the low end rumbling on. I also was impressed with the light show, the stage set is simple (a castle) but the lighting effects really added that extra touch.

Yeah,man! Glad someone else from UMOS was there that night. I was hoping for the best from a bunch of old "geezers" and they DELIVERED in Phoenix.

I loved the stage props, they really used the standard old castle set to their advantage. Did you notice the three "windows" that came down from the rafters and played their own images and videos on a few songs? From my vantage point, just right (Iommi) of the mixing board, the windows looked like they were just part of the background castle wall.

The new Heaven and Hell juggernaut has obviously spent a lot of time and money on the stage set, and the tour is immensely popular.

How this doesn't equate to a new STUDIO ALBUM next year is beyond me. The three new songs from BS: Dio Years are enough to wet my whistle.

Sounds like a magnficent night TSO - I've got my standing ticket for the Glasgow concert but Ineed to wait until 6th of November to see them. I think I told youse that the support is Lamb of God and Iced Earth!!!!