Heavy mutes mixing and power amp question

guitarjon

May 16, 2010
When your rhythm guitar parts have too much low (around 120Hz) when playing heavy muted notes, how do you guys solve this in the mix?
Do you equalize those frequencies before or after compression?
And do you use narrow dips of wider cuts to remove low frequencies in heavy distorted guitars?
A little insight would be cool!

And one other question.
I'm currently trying to make a good sound with my JMP1 straight into my DAW.
But because of this I don't have the power amp compression that you would have with a real tube power amp.
Could this be simulated with a compressor plug in, maybe a tube compressor simulation?
How would you set the release and attack etc. to match the compression on a tube power amp like say, a 9200.
I have some tube compressor plug ins, but what would you recommend?
Thanks!!

We usually don't compress distorted guitars. When the low-end is overbearing, a little bit of EQ there and multiband compression is what I do.

For your second question : impulses have the power amp's sound in them.

When your rhythm guitar parts have too much low (around 120Hz) when playing heavy muted notes, how do you guys solve this in the mix?
Do you equalize those frequencies before or after compression?
And do you use narrow dips of wider cuts to remove low frequencies in heavy distorted guitars?
A little insight would be cool!

And one other question.
I'm currently trying to make a good sound with my JMP1 straight into my DAW.
But because of this I don't have the power amp compression that you would have with a real tube power amp.
Could this be simulated with a compressor plug in, maybe a tube compressor simulation?
How would you set the release and attack etc. to match the compression on a tube power amp like say, a 9200.
I have some tube compressor plug ins, but what would you recommend?
Thanks!!

A high pass filter cutting around 130 should get rid of any boom you don't want.

1. High pass at 100hz or 120hz and treat the higher-mids accordingly as they may or may not seem a little irritating.
2. Mold a kick-ass bass tone to compensate for the loss of low-end :\

Stop using the JMP directly, seriously.
Either get a real tube amp head, or just use software amp sims.

try multiband compression to compress just the low end so it doesn´t boom the fuck out on the heavy muteing, and like Phil said, Impulses are supposed to simulate everything past the preamp so it includes power amp compression.

It's true that impulses include the power amp but they don't capture any compression. An Impulse is just EQ and decay as far as I know