Heavy, slow, thick, evil black metal

Jul 14, 2008
Decatur, IL
Ok, you all know I listen to alot of black metal, but I'm really looking for something very particular. Something slower, maybe mid paced, with thicker guitars than most black metal and audible riffs. Heavy, maybe even with palm mutes, very dark and/or evil atmosphere with minimal depressive qualities. If you have rec's I'll listen, and if It's not what I want it'll be easier to explain based on what you show me. It doesn't have to be black metal, but that's preferred. Thanks everyone.

Some of the Darkspace I experienced yesterday had some very heavy sounds. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm having trouble thinking of something that's mid-tempo, but Luna Ad Noctum comes to mind. They're very heavy and evil-sounding; I've only heard their album The Perfect Evil in Mortal, but it reminds me of Vesania.

Bliss of Flesh - Emaciated Deities. Blackened death, has some slow parts.
Cursed Bodies starts slow and heavy.

Ya I would imagine you're just going to get more blackened metal than black metal with this, considering it's pretty much contradictory to traditional black metal. Obviously there's stuff from Deathspell Omega's Kenose to Teitanblood's Seven Chalices, etc. that fits but based on your last.fm I really don't think I could rec anything you haven't heard.

when I think of slow, brooding black metal, Hate Forest's Battlefields comes to mind.

Samael - Ceremony of opposites

I checked out Bliss of Flesh and Luna Ad Noctum. BoF is very much like what I'm looking for and I'm quite enjoying it. LAN is really good, but not what I was looking for. I do enjoy them though, so it's still a good rec.

Necromantia
Barathrum
Root
Mortuary Drape
Necros Christos
Cultes Des Ghoules