Hell - Human Remains

If you ignore the Immortal-esque ridiculousness of the video, this is actually a really cool song in a Dr. Who kind of way. I like the proggy-ish and NWOBHM riffs popular at the time. This is actually more interesting to me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0S-Ip4JlM8&feature=related[/ame]

Look, I'm not denying that many bands released good material during the 90's, and I also never stated that all of them surfaced during the 90's either--a handful of them would not have survived though if not for already being established during the 80's.

The fact remains that your list is actually pretty damn small and pretty much inconsequential in the grand scheme of things as far as metal is concerned and influential bands and albums go. I find it odd that you're in your 30's and don't already know this. Did you not start listening to music until you were in your early 20's?

I've been listening to metal/hard rock since I was 5 years old. The problem with your argument is that you only see bands who influenced the very small music spectrum you listen to, and consequently, most of those bands are from the 70's and 80's. You don't like death metal, you don't like black metal, you don't like doom metal, you don't like most forms of extreme metal, so what does that leave us with? Classic, prog, thrash, and power metal, all of which were influenced by 70's and 80's prog or NWOBHM or thrash metal bands. It's easy to say 70's and 80's rock and metal were the most influential when the only music you like is a derivative of said genre.

I'm looking at it from a modern perspective. I grew up on the Big Four, Queensryche, Maiden, Zep, Pink Floyd, AC/DC (who I can't stand anymore), Sabbath, NWOBHM, and lots of radio-friendly bands from the 70's/80's like Boston, Journey, Foreigner, etc. However, out of those bands who do you think influenced more metal bands today? That's right, the Big Four, and of those four, maybe only 2 or 3 influenced a large amount of bands because Anthrax was like a niche within a niche.

Honestly, if you're under the age of 35 and are listening to more bands and different music than you were 25 years ago, chances are you were more influenced by albums put out in the 90's. That's all I'm saying.

In the 90's, there was anything you wanted, from grunge to thrash metal to alternative rock to death metal to black metal to power metal to stoner metal and so on and so forth.

No one in black metal has written an album like Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk since.

No one in thrash metal has written an album like Rust in Peace or Far Beyond Driven since.

No one in death metal has written an album like Symbolic or Domination or Tomb of the Mutilated or Legion or Heartwork since.

No one in Power/Prog/Melo-thrash has written an album like Dreaming Neon Black since.

No one in doom metal has written an album like The Silent Enigma, Turn Loose the Swans, The Carnival Bizarre, or Alternative 4 since.

Also, no one has written an album like any of the aforementioned albums before the 90's either.

More bands have done it faster and more extreme but not necessarily with the same impact these bands had.

We can go back and have a pissing contest all day about who influenced the most people, but then you'd end up with various blues artists who were ripped off by Led Zeppelin. That's not what we're talking about.

For the record, I'm always looking for something new to listen to and I listen to a lot more than just "proggy" influenced music (I actually can't stand most of what is considered progressive metal). The fact is, when a good sounding album from rock to metal arrives it's pretty much time to mark it on the calender and make it a new holiday anymore. The majority of what is considered "modern" metal is just pure shit, and that's not an opinion.

Most of these bands just ape other bands and all it seems to take is a few blastbeats, playing your music so fast that it sounds like midi for a video game, over-distorted guitars, screaming like the mic got shoved up your ass, or you've had too much to drink, or some corpse paint to satisfy the "modern" mainstream metaller. Metalcore is not blazing anything and there hasn't been any real breakthroughs in black since Emperor and Dimmu Borgir's first few albums and melody is practically non existent on pretty much the majority of your run of the mill death band. Most power metal from the last decade was just the overbearing and cliched Hammerfall and Rhapsody crap too. Sorry mom, I'm too busy slaying dragons while snorting pixie dust to take out the trash!

Ten and twenty, or even thirty years from now when people name the bands that were the greatest influences, they won't be listing those from the 90's or 2000's for the most part--and those that they do will have already been greatly influenced by those from the early 70's and 80's without question. The most influential people and bands other Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Elvis and the Beatles that evolved rock/metal had their breakthroughs during the 70's and 80's.

You don't like death metal, you don't like black metal, you don't like doom metal, you don't like most forms of extreme metal...

I never said that anywhere. I actually quite enjoy all of those genres--but both death and black in particular have very few bands that standout from one another.

Actually, you know what? I'll make an extremely easy and pretty accurate cross media analogy. What is going on with "modern" metal is the same thing that's been going on with this generation of consoles, where everything is a recycled FPS that has pretty much zero innovation anywhere and it's the same shit we've seen since the first Quake arrived. Oh sure, the graphics might be better, but that's pretty much it. And yet the mainstream, average joe console player just can't seem to get enough of the exact same thing over and over again.

It seems it's safe that we agree that at least the 90's were a lot better than the 00's.

So is it safe to assume that you're not actually a musician, or that you have a very narrow focus in what you do listen to? This quote is just so incredibly uninformed it's almost unbelievable.

I play guitar and sing in two bands.

For the record, I'm always looking for something new to listen to and I listen to a lot more than just "proggy" influenced music (I actually can't stand most of what is considered progressive metal). The fact is, when a good sounding album from rock to metal arrives it's pretty much time to mark it on the calender and make it a new holiday anymore. The majority of what is considered "modern" metal is just pure shit, and that's not an opinion.

Actually, that IS just an opinion, and a very uninspired one at that. There are TONS of new, great bands out these days in death, black, folk, melodic rock, etc. You obviously are simply ignorant of this fact because you choose not to seek it out. I take it you've never heard of Akercocke, Agalloch, Anaal Nathrakh, Novembre, The Foreshadowing, Hour of Penance, Primordial, Shining, Ulver, Kauan, Blackfield, and the list could go on for days.

Most of these bands just ape other bands and all it seems to take is a few blastbeats, over distorted guitars, screaming like the mic got shoved up your ass, or you've had too much to drink, or some corpse paint to satisfy the "modern" mainstream metaller. Metalcore is not blazing anything and there hasn't been any real breakthroughs in black since Emperor and Dimmu Borgir's first few albums and melody is practically non existent on pretty much the majority of your run of the mill death band. Most power metal from the last decade was just the overbearing and cliched Hammerfall and Rhapsody crap too. Sorry mom, I'm too busy slaying dragons while snorting pixie dust to take out the trash!

Metalcore is dead, as it should be. It has been dead for about 4 years. Your oversimplification of black metal leads me to believe you've never heard of Negura Bunget as well. Power metal is more than just Hammerfall and Rhapsody...but not much more.

Ten and twenty, or even thirty years from now when people name the bands that were the greatest influences, they won't be listing those from the 90's or 2000's for the most part--and those that they do will have already been greatly influenced by those from the early 70's and 80's without question. The most influential people and bands other Hendrix, Elvis and the Beatles that evolved rock/metal had their breakthroughs during the 70's and 80's.

The last decade of music has been shit in comparison to what it was in the 90's...I don't see anyone in the 2000s influencing anyone at all, actually.

Hendrix, The Beatles, Elvis, Zep, etc. will always have their place in rock history...and that's where it will always stay...in the past. Other than shit bands like Wolfmother trying to be the new Led Zeppelin, it will mainly stay in the past and act as a historical reference, not much more.

I never said that anywhere. I actually quite enjoy all of those genres--but both death and black in particular have very few bands that standout from one another.

Actually, you know what? I'll make an extremely easy and pretty accurate cross media analogy. What is going on with "modern" metal is the same thing that's been going on with this generation of consoles, where everything is a recycled FPS that has pretty much zero innovation anywhere and it's the same shit we've seen since the first Quake arrived. Oh sure, the graphics might be better, but that's pretty much it. And yet the mainstream, average joe console player just can't seem to get enough of the exact same thing over and over again.

You like death and black metal, yet you compare it to "people screaming like having a microphone rammed up their ass" and "incomprehensible growling" and such. Therefore, you don't like black or death metal. You might find certain aspects about it appealing, but you don't like it. Saying, "the music's ok but I just can't get into the vocals, man" means you don't like it, which is fine, but saying that death and black metal have very few bands that stand out from each other makes it obvious that you really don't know anything about the bands in both genres.

Like I said, you have to really, REALLY search for bands that you like these days. They're there, but hidden. It's not like the 90's where they were everywhere and you could find anything you wanted.

Edited my last post before your last two replies showed up. Also, don't you find this somewhat ironic, after claiming I'm uninformed or ignorant when I proclaim "modern" metal as being crap?

Like I said, you have to really, REALLY search for bands that you like these days. They're there, but hidden. It's not like the 90's where they were everywhere and you could find anything you wanted.

So which is it? Is it safer to say that most modern metal is crap then?

Also, you're wrong about what it takes to enjoy a specific genre. You don't have to like vocals to like the genre. You can get acclimated to them in such a way that you aren't annoyed by them, and the music itself ends up covering up any thoughts of disdain for them if it's actually done well. To this day, I absolutely hate the vocals for In Flames, yet that won't prevent me from listening to their first couple of albums, similarly to how I absolutely could not stand the vocals for At The Gates or The Haunted, but they don't bother me any longer. That still doesn't mean I enjoy them. The first death growls that I actually learned to love--and almost only are from Mikael Akerfeldt and Christian Alvestram. I'm not about to sift through another couple hundred death and black bands (are you really dismissing just how bloated both of these genres are right now?) with albums that sound like they were recorded with a $10 budget in someone's garage shrieking about the cold or gurggling about mutilations/sacrifice just to find one or two more that I can stand. Believe me, I have listened to more than I care to count and most of them sound just like the other.

Vocals matter a lot, which is why so many of these bands lack any real identity. There's only so much someone can do with death/black vocals. Apart from phrasing and very specific pitches, they mostly just blur together and the majority of them lack melody or anything resembling a memorable vocal line or chorus. For every Nile or Obituary you'll find ten or more versions of Mortician.

Sweet! I'm curious to see how they sound in other stuff. Tbh, if Max likes the album then it's most probably really good. I'll acquire it in a bit.

'The Quest' is probably the most "mainstream" as well as anthemy sounding track, but goddamn is it catchy. Reminds me of Crimson Glory or Hollow a little bit too.

So yeah, after waiting for this band to release a sophomore album and then giving up looking near the end of 2013, they released Curse and Chapter last November, and I just now found out about it.

Human Remains had some extremely catchy songs, but the new album is a bit different. It actually has a Sabbat meets Judas Priest, meets Blind Guardian vibe to it, with the thematic overtones of the first album. It has some absolutely killer riffage throughout though.

this band hell has a pretty cool sound. Hard to believe it took this long to get shit out. If they had released this in the 80's, they may have done something. Although, the productions would have probably sucked.

Dead Winter, have you heard Hideous Divinity?

If you want to hear what a 90s era Sanctuary (had they not split) with today's production might sound like, you really need to hear "A Vespertine Legacy". Sounds more like a cross between Sanctuary and Iced Earth, but David Bower is channeling Warrel so hard on this and the music matches some of the more sinister Sanctuary tracks.

If you want to hear what a 90s era Sanctuary (had they not split) with today's production might sound like, you really need to hear "A Vespertine Legacy". Sounds more like a cross between Sanctuary and Iced Earth, but David Bower is channeling Warrel so hard on this and the music matches some of the more sinister Sanctuary tracks.

oh yeah, I hear it.