Hellfest!

Oh yeah, what a surprise to hear some old stuff ! Especially when Anders has sang with his f*****g black metal voice ! Great moment :headbang:

and thank you for the picture's comments !

Come on, Martijn! Fuck the bbq, Shining would have been awesome, haha.
Haha, well, yeah.. They were actually the only band that I intended to see, that I ended up missing, for the rest I saw all I wanted to see and some more. With a line-up packed with this many great bands, it's almost impossible to see everything, one needs to eat for example! ;)

But I saw Shining already last year and probably will again sometime in the future.

Ok ok, that is awesome. How are they live? They seem like they would be quite the experience.
Anyway, I saw them yesterday in Rotterdam, good gig. They played the whole Halmstad album, which I hoped for, because it's the only album I know well. Shame only that they cut "Besvikelsens Dystra Monotoni" short, probably my favourite song on Halmstad. "Längtar Bort Från Mitt Hjärta" was amazing though.

All in all it was a pretty normal gig in the sense that it’s not as sick and twisted as you might expect from a band like Shining. Kvarforth appeared to be a pretty normal and nice guy, who also smiles, interacts in a normal way with other humans, also makes the crowd go "hey hey hey" etc. Seeing a band like Shining live kinda takes away the "controversy" and "mystique" a bit I have to say. Beforehand you think, let’s not get too close to the stage or I’ll get blood spilled on me etc. But once there, it’s basically just another Black Metal gig. Still, it was by no means bad, it’s nice to have seen them.
:)

Fuck ! I so would have wanted to see Without fucking God! I haven't yet sreally regret my decision that I went to watch Turisas instead of Kateen katatonia live and I really excited that I probably get to see it at one festival where it is coming in finland this year. I missed it at last years Tuska Open Air Metal festival in finland and I really regret the decision that I went to watch turisas insetead of katatonia. How the Without God was live btw?

Then Carcass, I had quite some expectations, but I was slightly disappointed I have to say, I really enjoyed most of the concert, but I expected a lot more fire and enthusiasm after this much-anticipated reunion. They played well, the sound was good, but from Jeff Walker's obligatory and absent attitude I almost got the impression they're doing this reunion for the money or something. Hopefully they will convince me at Wacken.
Damn you got alot of time on your hands Martijn!:p
Great analysis of the show tho'. As far as Carcass I hope they regain some energy for their short U.S. run. Sorry to hear about Porcupine being sub-par, there's always next time when they headline an indoors gig.

BTW, Elishia, I think I saw you walk away from the stage right after Katatonia.

I think I saw you too but I'm not sure. Did you have a Mellotronen tshirt on Friday, and a Opeth one on saturday evening? I think I saw you just ahead the fire (near the skater's place) before the Cavalera conspiracy show.

It was cool to read your story Martijn, and so nice to meet you and the others :wave:

I'm beginning to recover from a weekend without shower, without healthy food, without much sleep and WITHOUT GOD yeeeaaahhh!!!
Musically, it was certainly one of the best festivals ever and I don't regret driving the 2x 1500 km, it was all worth it!

My favourite concerts were:
Of course Katatonia playing the completely unexpected Without God, it made me soooooo happy. When Jonas announced „a couple of old songs“ I thought ok- Murder, but what's the rest of the couple?! And then I could hardly believe it.... :OMG::OMG::OMG: they played only the first half of the song but I'm not complaing, it was wonderful, thank you so much!!! And sure, hearing Consternation again was brilliant as well:headbang:.
The other big surprise was My Dying Bride- the violin is back!!!!! At least for the next couple of gigs. So they played some more of the old violin stuff like Here In The Throat and From Darkest Skies, which they hadn't done for ages, oh, I really loved it! :worship::worship::worship:
I'm too lazy now to comment every single band but those deserve to be mentioned:
At The Gates (insane!!), Anathema (I love their passion, great setlist), Ghost Brigade (best band of those I saw for the first time on this festival), Primordial (very intense, impressive response from the crowd), Cult of Luna (amazing lightshow/ atmosphere), Iced Earth (I'm so glad Barlow is back, even without his beautiful hair), Opeth (I'm sorry for not headbanging but I had somehow managed to sort of wash my hair before their gig and I wanted to keep the fresh feeling as long as possible), Porcupine Tree (relaxing among all the metal), Year Of No Light (another interesting band I didn't know before), basically enjoyed Candlemass too, still have to get used to the new singer though.

Ok, what else? The weather was a bit too warm but it could have been far worse. The complete lack of showers was a challenge. On Saturday, me and a friend walked through the town and saw a lady watering her flowers and so we asked her to give us a little shower too. Like almost everyone, she didn't speak English but somehow understood what we wanted, so we just threw off our shoes and shirts and had great refreshing fun in her garden. The food sucked :ill: Bread with french fries and icecream... being a vegetarian isn't easy sometimes... I'm glad there was not much time for eating anyway. Instead, I got drunk. The festival area was really nice, most of the staff were friendly, although the communication was a bit difficult.
I met Camille, Juniper and Martijn from the forum, other non- forum friends, various new people and last but not least, I got to hang out, chat and party with both of my favourite bands- Katatonia and My Dying Bride... sweeeeet...:):):):):)

I think I saw you too but I'm not sure. Did you have a Mellotronen tshirt on Friday, and a Opeth one on saturday evening? I think I saw you just ahead the fire (near the skater's place) before the Cavalera conspiracy show.
Yep, that must've been me, I was wearing my Melloboat shirt and my Opeth zipper on Saturday night! :)

@ Sabine, it was great to have yet another Kata-meeting of course, a tradition to keep! :)

<3
DSC00694.jpg
<3

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

NSFW!!
DSC00729.jpg

Sorry for them being so huge (im not talking about those willies) im just still too tired to resize them all..

LOL who the fuck is naked? btw did anybody get Porcupine Tree's setlist? Or Dimmu's for that matter?
PT setlist:
Open Car
Blackest Eyes
Anesthetize (2/3)
Mother And Child Divided
Hatesong
Halo
Sleep Together

Dimmu's included Spellbound, In Death's Embrace, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse, A Succubus in Rapture and some new album songs. I could be wrong, but I think they skipped the Puritanical album..