Help a total recording noob out

Travis

Bassist
Jan 2, 2006
Near Albany, NY
www.myspace.com
Since converting anything down to an 1/8th inch jack kills quality, I'm trying to research cheap(?) ways of doing simple, low-end recordings that - while low-end - don't sound like pure shit. Is there any way to like, install a quarter inch or XLR input to a home computer? If I were to go out and spend the money on a real 8 track of some sort, how would it connect to my computer? What little odds and ends should I know?

You should be looking at interfaces. If you have a decent computer, (1 ghz, 60 GB of hard drive space or so, 512 mb of ram) then your computer will be the most flexible machine you can buy and you already have it. As you've already stated you're concerned with an interface with proffessional connections. Depending on what you plan to record you can get a good interface for probably alot cheaper than you think. Definitely cheaper than any 8 track. If you're going to be doing mostly simple 1 track or source at a time, you can get some good interfaces with 1/4 inch and xlr jacks for under $150 or so. Check musiciansfriend. If you ever want to record drums, though, you're going to want something with at least 6-8 simultaneous inputs, which will drive your price up quite a bit. Software is another story. Many interfaces come with programs with limited functionality for free which are good to get you started, and if you want to upgrade to something better down the line you can always do that later. By keeping everything based around your computer your options for expansion are almost endless. Of course it's harder to move around than a portable 8 track, but theres so much more you can do that it will outweigh the portability issue.

If you're only interested in recording one or two tracks at a time, have a look at an MBox with Pro Tools LE. They're quite cheap and easy to use... Only problem with Pro Tools is the midi/softsynth editing and support isn't that hot...
If you want a program you can do midi drums and stuff like that as well try Cubase (for PC) or Logic (for Mac). Both have cheaper Limited Edition style versions. You can get cheap USB interfaces for both and the MIDI will be alot easier to use and offer you more options. Go to your local music hardware shopand ask someone there to help you out...
If you want to record a whole band, or even just a drum kit to any reasonable quality you're not going to be able ot do it on the cheap and may as well stick with what you've got until you can affor something more expensive. Or go to a studio where they know what they're doing...
If you just want to be able to record ideas down a 3.5mm jack isn't really going to make much difference...

If you have a reasonable microphone just make sure your cable and adapter to 3.5mm are good quality.
You won't record anything to a quality that anyone will think of as even approaching professional in your bedroom anyway, not even for a listenable demo really(not a go at you personally, just the truth...), so save your money for studio time wouldbe my advice...

I'm not really looking for software, I'm set where that's concerned. Really right now I've just trying to get an idea for hardware (Single track is fine) that doesn't sound terrible, though perhaps not being the best in the world.

Uladyne - So this would be something you're referring to?

for some reason I can't edit my post... I was going to edit it to mention PreSonus FIREBOX for another recording alternative, since you can't record vocals or drums with a PODxt, unless you programmed the drums.

Since converting anything down to an 1/8th inch jack kills quality, I'm trying to research cheap(?) ways of doing simple, low-end recordings that - while low-end - don't sound like pure shit. Is there any way to like, install a quarter inch or XLR input to a home computer? If I were to go out and spend the money on a real 8 track of some sort, how would it connect to my computer? What little odds and ends should I know?

Converting a 1/4in cable to 1/8in doesn't degrade quality. Typically when a person is converting a 1/4in guitar cable to 1/8it is what they are plugging into that is degrading the quality(i.e. shitty soundblaster soundcard). The reason being is said soundcard is supposed to receive a line level signal...not instrument level. There is an impedance mismatch which opens a can of worms.

Are you just going to be recording guitar or are you going to be mic'ing up a kit? Are you good with computers and do you like tinkering with software? If so, get an interface and some recording software. If you hate computers...get a 8 track.

You won't record anything to a quality that anyone will think of as even approaching professional in your bedroom anyway, not even for a listenable demo really(not a go at you personally, just the truth...), so save your money for studio time wouldbe my advice...

I beg to differ. I've recorded many bands in a bedroom studio and had their CDs released commercially. Then again I use very high quality gear and I've been doing this for quite some time.

If you're not interested in learning the bells and whistles of all the recording mumbo jumbo you can always look at buying one of those USB microphones. I don't really know the quality of them, but if you're just looking to lay down some tracks for yourself then it may be one of the cheapest and easiest ways to go.