Time to ditch the pod gx and get a pre amp, HELP!

guitarplaya18

Dec 25, 2009
So I've decided to get serious about recording. With that I have realized that a pod gx unit is not going to give me the best quality guitar recordings. I remember some thread that compared a dry guitar signal recorded with some version of a pod and a dry signal recorded with a DI. No surprise that the DI sounded better. I only plan to record guitar, bass, and vocals. Drums will always be programmed. So i pretty much need something with one 1/4 inch input and and xlr for a mic.

I'm do not plan on reamping anything right now, so I guess that rules out the need for a DI box, so what sort of preamp or interface should I be looking at. I've never really read up on this sort of stuff because I always had my gx...

What are the advantages/disadvanges with cheaper/more expensive preamps?

What sort of quality differences will there be with different preamps? at what point will the difference in sound quality not even be that great?

Basically I need something other than my pod gx to record the best possible dry guitar signal that I can.

Taking any and all suggestions. Any audio examples would be great also. Don't have much of a budget right now, so give me the cheap options as well.

Sorry I have not read up more on this stuff

and thanks!

EDIT: I have one of these laying around. useful?
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=65&brandID=2

What do you plan to use for your distortion tone?

Are you using plugins or the POD, or do you have an amp you are going to mic?

A good DI box has nothing to do with Re-amping, if you are using plugins, then a good DI with proper high impedance is important.

Re-amping is when you take the DI track you recorded and send it through a Reamp box back into an amp that you mic up.

I still mic the amp and play through it. The DI is more of an insurance policy.

Well these last two projects, I took a DI while tracking through sims to reamp later. But that had to do with all sorts of moving around and special situations... ugh what a mess.

Guess I was a little more confused then I thought. I will not be reamping, just using plugs. So do I need a di box and preamplifier or one or the other?