Help! Computer Problem: Or, Fucking Microsoft and my goddamn harddrive.

SCott308

Insert witty saying here.
May 10, 2003
Madison, WI
Visit site
My hard drive recently died, so I had to get a new one installed. For the most part, everything is running OK, but I am having a problem with my e-mail. I am running the most recent versions of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and my OS is Windows 98 SE.

We have four different people that have their own log-in on Windows, and each one has a seperate e-mail account. We never had any problems before, but I can not keep the e-mail accounts seperate anymore. Each person is only able to download e-mail sent to their account, but once it is downloaded, all the e-mails show up no matter who opens their e-mail. If it is deleted by one person, it is deleted for everyone. The address book is the same way. Any contacts that are put in one address book shows up in all of them.

I called my ISP's technical help and they had me try some things with the identities in OE, but it didn't help. Each account has only that account holder listed in the identities section.

I went to Microsoft's website and did not get much help there. Basically, if I can't figure it out on my own, they want $30 to help me and I don't want to spend it unless I absolutely have to. Hopefully, someone here may be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

i was lucky when my computer fucked up,i got a hewlett packard and had the back up discs to make my computer back to factory standard,i bought my computer new though.

by the way i do run windows millenium and i have heard it fucks the computer up,how much does it cost to upgrade to xp,i dont want to spend much money to upgrade!

That's the problem, using windows 98 to do it. It's not worth it. If you're going to have 4 people, do what Madthrax said, win xp. Win 2k also works, but more for if you know what you're doing. If you do, go for it, if you don't, forget it, get xp. I'd get xp anyways.

If you have an HP with WinME, make sure that particular model can handle Win XP.
I'm not just talk about processor speeds and what not.
I have 4 computers and one is an HP Pavilion. That is not upgradeable to WinXP.
I forgot the website that I found that out on. Think it was an HP board.
Just want to give you a 'head's up'. Another alternative would be to have a store like Best Buy install it for youl. If they can't get it working, they'll put your system back to normal.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I may need to upgrade. Damn, I was hoping to avoid spending more money, but it looks like that may be answer.

Scott

NP: Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden