Help making a website for my studio.....

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
So guys I need some help and suggestions.... I decided to create a website for my little studio but I have no idea how to start, and I was wondering if you guys who have particular websites for your studio can tell me the whole process.

Well I know that I have to purchase a domain... and so far I been looking at Godaddy.com(If theirs other good domain sites recommend me some) and I searched the url(.com) that I want and its 10.69$ a year.. but how does that work... is it like a contract that I have to subscribe, or like a fee for every month? Also what sort of packages you guys suggest?

What im pretty much looking is for a simple site that lets me post up some samples, lets bands know my info, and post pictures... also an email and extra storage isnt really necessary but if cheap I dont mind since i use dropbox for storage.

Also to design the site, is there like and editor(For example myspace has an editor which lets u customize everything) that comes with the site.. or ur on ur own making the html code?

Thanks... any suggestions or comments let me know since I just want to gather as much info on how to create my own site at the cheapest price.:headbang:

GoDaddy is a great place to get names from. Another cheap place is namecheap.com. Personally I like GoDaddy and buy all my domains from there. I would recommend getting a hosting package from someone besides GoDaddy.

My two top recommendations would be:

Hostgator.com
Bluehost.com

When you buy your domain from GoDaddy, or anywhere for that matter, you pay the $10.69 or whatever it is for the year and that's it. When the 1 year term is coming up GoDaddy will remind you and ask whether or not you want to renew the domain.

I would suggest you design your own HTML site or get someone else to do it for you. There are sites online where you can hire freelancers by posting a "Job" that you want done and having people bid on it and you pick which person you want to do it.

Check out

Elance.com
guru.com

Hope this helps

I use hostpapa. What usually happens is that they tell you it comes up to 5-10$ a month or whatever your deal is, but you have to pay a year in advance. You can browse around and also get a free domain with most hosting deals.

I've had Host Monster for a couple of years.

It's something like $75 a year for the hosting and you get a free domain name registration. They offer unlimited bandwidth and basically unlimited space. There may be a limit, but it's so ridiculously high it doesn't matter. Also, their customer service is pretty awesome and has helped me out even when I was the one that was stupid.

That said, I only use it to host mp3s that I send to bands and to host images for Myspace layouts. Myspace works great for being free and easy to use and communicate with bands. I'd like to do a website sometime, but bands don't seem to care about them much.

Thanks for the input guys... and Kenfobert I'ma look into those sites appreciate the help. Yeah i know myspace is cool especially since most bands have one.. but i just want a small site not even thinking of spending more than 50$ so maybe ill just get those 2buck domain lol and look for some cheap storage.

Just to hijack this thread a little ;

How did you guys decide on your URL ?
Have you went for the studios name, your business name, your name or another name?

I'm currently resigning everything (moved studio..) so I'm going for a brand new website. Finding it difficult to choose a name!

http://www.zzhosting.com

You can make quarterly payments! I pay roughly $12 every 3 months. Then the domain re-registration of like $10 once a year. Very few downtimes, great speeds, good tech support.

Most sites advertise $10/MONTH!!!! but you have to pay $100+ right there (a year in advance) which is money that i don't have!