Help in making my own studio/rehearsal room

pitoga

Nov 30, 2009
Lima - Peru
Greetings to all! first of all sorry for my bad english :p and this is my first thread and i really need help

Well It's been a while since i started in the recording bussines, but basically in a modest home studio and some local bands. After finnaly finishing my studies in Sound engeneering a friend of my father, wants to invest in my project of building a recording/rehearsal room, But in my opinion he wants to do it to much "over the top" from the beggining investing in "killer" equipment ands stuff, but I haven't really ever used some of these. My original Plan was to make a recording studio with the possibilitie to work as a reheasal room. and this guy want's to do everything from recording mixing mastering Master Cd burning band promoting and distribution of cd's. I tried to explain my dad that in the sound bussines it's kinda hard to have from the begining killer sounding recordings and that a REAL mastering room is waaayyy to expencive and i don't even have a clue at REAL mastering (i do know how to work around with it in the digital domain in my daw). Please I would be gratefull if you could sugest me what you would do in my position. should i go for it? and without THAT much of experience say that yeah of course i can make you sound like the pro's. Or should i tell them to go at a slower pace. I personaly think that i need way more experience in mixing.

well in case you say GO FOR IT!!! do you know some real numbers for charging? to do ir per hour or day or track. It would be nice if it could be what YOU usally charge as "home studio owners" and to know the numbers of the "pro" studios and the not SOOO pro ones. hope you get my point.

Thanxs!

thanx, for the answer. but it's not like i DON'T know how to mix soon i'll be posting something i'm working on right now. it's just that this "oportunity" is not going to be there waiting for me to be "ready" this guy wants to invest in me right now. as i allready said i've finished my studies in sound engeneering allready so i DO know how to record and mix, my point is that my experience is not THAT much. A few local bands and the classes i had there, i could say i'm in this for like 4 years.

thanx, for the answer. but it's not like i DON'T know how to mix soon i'll be posting something i'm working on right now. it's just that this "oportunity" is not going to be there waiting for me to be "ready" this guy wants to invest in me right now. as i allready said i've finished my studies in sound engeneering allready so i DO know how to record and mix, my point is that my experience is not THAT much. A few local bands and the classes i had there, i could say i'm in this for like 4 years.

I mixed my first livegig 10 years ago (and I've mixed them a LOT, over 1100 now for ~600 bands and about 180 this year alone) and I did my first record 5 years, but I'm still learning a lot each year and I wouldn't say even I would be qualified to run a studio by myself yet, because running a studio has a lot of other stuff to do than just recording and mixing, like networking, clientele, doing paperwork and stuff.

So unless your father is a millionaire, I would say "don't do it". And if you do, don't take a too huge bite and just stick to the recording and mixing. Leave the mastering, printing, promotion and distribution to other people. You would otherwise need to hire 10 people to do all this job.

Thanx a lot for the sugestion!i will definitly consider it! i was thinking to it is to early but wanted to ask persons that have been in the bussines for longer time, so that my dad don't comes to me saying, This is a one time oportunity you have to risk yourself and stuff. thanks! so in my position you defintly would wait to gain more experience