Recording drums in rehearsal room...Seizure, Sly, in here!

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hi guys,

As I've mentioned before, I will be recording my band's first album once we are moved into our monthly rehearsal space. The room is brand new, but I don't think I can do any permanent construction modifications or anything.

My main concern is recording drums and the acoustic qualities of the room. It is a nice size square room, open ceiling with some pipes exposed. Obviously I have the unfortunate characteristic of non-floating floors and parralel walls.

What would be my best option to control the acoustic shortcomings of this room? I am going to build a bunch of bass trap/gobos for recording guitars, bass, and I guess drums. Would it be beneficial to have some strategically placed traps around the drum set?

Recommendations/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Joe

The only thing i sometimes do is putting the drumkit on some wood and make sure its not near a wall...
next to that i don't realy do alot hehe

making sure your drumkit is cool (new skins, tuning etc..) is your main concern i guess...

maybe if your OH's are picking up way to much room/middycrap.. you allways put some foam on the back of those or above the drumkit.

If you thinking of using roommics i'd go for a M/S setup! works great in even realy small rooms, and even if i record in good rooms i useally prefer them to L/R omni's taped to the floor, for fast stuff anyway!

The only thing i sometimes do is putting the drumkit on some wood and make sure its not near a wall...
next to that i don't realy do alot hehe

making sure your drumkit is cool (new skins, tuning etc..) is your main concern i guess...

maybe if your OH's are picking up way to much room/middycrap.. you allways put some foam on the back of those or above the drumkit.

If you thinking of using roommics i'd go for a M/S setup! works great in even realy small rooms, and even if i record in good rooms i useally prefer them to L/R omni's taped to the floor, for fast stuff anyway!

Thanks for the reply man. Our room is going to be big enough, so I won't have to worry about the wall situation.

What is the M/S setup that you speak of?

I planned on using two ribbons for room mics.

-Joe

Here is one of my more DIY recordings haha
l_8e4e3ddb8dc6492c8b6b55d580be04ce.jpg

You can see the M/S setup if you look closely hehehe.. 1 ribbon as side and a sm57 as mid i think.. worked well!!

Here is one of my more DIY recordings haha
l_8e4e3ddb8dc6492c8b6b55d580be04ce.jpg

You can see the M/S setup if you look closely hehehe.. 1 ribbon as side and a sm57 as mid i think.. worked well!!

Cool, I will check out the technique. Thanks!

Also, I wanted to ask about some kickass headphones. Since I will be tracking and controlling in one room, I need something nice that will isolate the sound I suppose.

Suggestions?

These will be mostly for monitoring tracking.

-Joe