recording drums in a dining room, tips and concerns?

wtf's on your ceiling Joey?? Looks like you painted it silver 2 times with slightly different shades, or is it just that damn popcorn texture and a weird shadow?

wtf's on your ceiling Joey?? Looks like you painted it silver 2 times with slightly different shades, or is it just that damn popcorn texture and a weird shadow?

the house was built in 79

its like plaster in clumps

dumbest idea ever

if you can't tell, im still remodeling the place

you shoulda see those walls before i had them redone

Joey IMHO drums will sound fine in that room as is, maybe throw up something over the glass walkout doors.

I tracked it in my finished basement, with real low ceilings and good ol 1970's brady bunch wood paneling. Dave O mixed and mastered.

Throw some traps up on the walls and go for it. People nitpick way too much about this shit, in my experience it is not the life or death issue people make it out to be. That room is totally useable as is, you're not trying to capture huge ambient natural drum sounds on your stuff so the room is really a small fucking factor in the equation. I'm surprised that the POD king is getting antsy about not tracking drums in an acoustically perfect environment :lol: Break some fucking barriers and swim against the stream my friend!

Throw some traps up on the walls and go for it. People nitpick way too much about this shit, in my experience it is not the life or death issue people make it out to be. That room is totally useable as is, you're not trying to capture huge ambient natural drum sounds on your stuff so the room is really a small fucking factor in the equation. I'm surprised that the POD king is getting antsy about not tracking drums in an acoustically perfect environment :lol: Break some fucking barriers and swim against the stream my friend!

i bought some t diffusors
gonna put those on the ceiling

then im gonna give it a go!

I'm sure what ever options you go with the results will be awesome Joey, everything you have put out is stellar! What Ive read from Ethan Winer, the acoustic guru, you want heavy bass trapping in all corners and a reflective floor with non reflective ceiling for small rooms. Looks like your rooms a little backwards..LOL. He has some great articles at www.ethanwiner.com and www.realtraps.com
I took all his designs and made my own traps and saved a ton of money. I finished in 7 months with building and flooring but you obviously don't have that time!

Here's the results
1.jpg

5.jpg

Theres also some obsorbtion on the side walls to help with flutter.

How did you build those taller traps in the corners and the over head one?

They don't look like there 8ft to me (2-2'x4' panels) and just curious as I would like to build some like this as well.

Metaltastic: These are removable window plugs.

Joshua: The traps on the walls are 2'x4' the corners are 2'x6' and the ceiling clouds are 6'x4' all filled with 2 sheets 2" rockwool.

It was a lot of work but it sounds awesome, I got a project coming up this month so hopefully I can break it in! All depends if can get the shit wired up in time.