How'd you acquire your studio/recording room?

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
hey all,

basically I'd like to move away from guerrilla recording, i.e. schlepping equipment to band's rehearsal space and recording there, and towards having a room where I can permanently store my equiment.

how did you go about finding a room and how do you rent it?
on a consistent basis or hourly?

I'm thankful for any tips to hlp me get started.

thanks.

Yeah that sucks. Prior to that I was in a duplex (a house split into 2 apartments). The downstairs neighbor was a fucking drugged out drummer so noise wasn't an issue both ways as long as times were respected.

He was a fucking loser though and didn't ever bother to respect the times I asked him to shut the fuck up. My hours were always noon-9pm and usually I wanted anything loud to be done at 8.

Major exception to the rule though. When I was living in the midwest I had some cunt that got her pubes in a knot whenever we did ANYTHING.

My grandma had Alzheimer's and it got really bad so my mom, brother, and I moved in to help out. Her condition got to the point where she was endangering herself by wondering outside (we live right on the highway). So we had an additional room built that was like an apartment and hired a caretaker to be there while we all worked etc... She eventually passed away in 2000 n I now use that room for studio/rehearsal space.

I'm in an industrial warehouse space. Someone built out the inside into several rooms a long time ago to turn it into a rehearsal space for bands. After a while of only my band being there I made a deal with ten to take over the whole space.

interesting to hear how you all got to it.
maybe I should start looking around in my area but space is rare here.
picking out locations and asking the owner out of the blue if I can rent some storage place to make loud noise in it
would be a bit weird I guess. there's not much in the paper's either. it's not easy.

I like Uros's idea of asking other recording studios to rent out their space but as far as I have seen studios that do it
it's pretty expensive.

finding something in germany (at least here in hamburg) took me 5 years of intense searching...
now im moving in a studio complex, with 4 studios, one of them 100m² with the best equipment you could ever imagine,
but i was really lucky and asked at the right time if they had room for me... my advice would be, ask local
studios if they have something for you, maybe share with them... lot of studios cant afford to rent a huge space
alone..

My dad is a carpenter and has a huge shop warehouse type thing where I record drums/reamp. Guitars, bass, vocals, and whatever else are tracked here in my apartment.

finding something in germany (at least here in hamburg) took me 5 years of intense searching...
now im moving in a studio complex, with 4 studios, one of them 100m² with the best equipment you could ever imagine,
but i was really lucky and asked at the right time if they had room for me... my advice would be, ask local
studios if they have something for you, maybe share with them... lot of studios cant afford to rent a huge space
alone..

hmm, I always think studios wouldn't to that because they fear competition?

hey all,

basically I'd like to move away from guerrilla recording, i.e. schlepping equipment to band's rehearsal space and recording there, and towards having a room where I can permanently store my equiment.

how did you go about finding a room and how do you rent it?
on a consistent basis or hourly?

I'm thankful for any tips to hlp me get started.

thanks.

Guerrilla recording is what I do

I have been also guerilla recording for few years now, mainly in my bands rehearsal space (which is although 40m2), but last year I have been trying to find a good recording room... I don't want to spend huge amounts of money to make acoustic treatments into a sub par room, but good places cost a ton of money...

Is there any Helsinki/Finland based sneapsters who wanna rent/buy/build together an awesome studiospace??

I moved back in with my parents.

Sounds lame (and can be at times), but I save a fuck load of money and have a room for my studio gear.

my advice would be, ask local
alone..

I second that! Isn't easy to find something in Kiel either. But there aren't other studio that I could ask to share so I'm looking out for something with a friend to share!