For those of you who started a studio themselves.. what is your advice?

Jun 2, 2005
Okay, me and Seizure (from this forum as well) have been talking about starting a studio for quite a while now.. im moving out next month and after that i really want to realize this plan and start a studio.

JB/Seizure is great at recording, i really like mixing, it would be a ideal co-operation if setup right. We both have the knowledge, we have gear allready, and the network is pretty big plus expanding... all we need is a place to call our official studio where there is room for recording and mixing/mastering.

Im thinking, if we just start out small.. meaning building up a empire, put every penny possible into the studio and build up every day/month/year till it gets better and more fancy... able to pay the costs and able to invest in gear and expansions.
Start out renting a place, keep the clients you allready have, expand the client base with creating a name and advertising.. all should be okay right?
I have more plans, but this is all i can type up for now as i have to go to work now.. :erk:

How did you do this? what was your plan and how did you start out? did you have to inject a sum of money before starting? build up from the ground up?

Any tips in general?

Cheers in advance!

Good luck with this. I'm very keen to see how the whole process plays out for you, as I'm looking to do a similar thing in a few years. It should be noted that starting up a studio is a risky endeavor at the best of times, especially where the industry currently is, coupled with the state of the economy. All I can say is: don't not to dig yourselves into a hole that you can't get out of. Always have a Plan B in case things don't go the way you'd like them to.

Dude I don't have any experience so I won't help you in that matter but I just wanted to say that I wish you both best luck at this! Seems like you've got everything necessary to achieve a great success, and I'm damn sure that you earn it!

I think being smart financially is also an essential thing in opening a studio, or any business for that matter. Try to think of every little detail that could include a sum of money. Leave money for equipment repair, building repair, money to pay yourself, money to save for future gear and things like that. If you know how to manage cash flow coming in and out of the studio and you put out quality work, I think you will be fine.

Already some awesome advice!
From first hand experience i would say expect the unexpected.More than anything because it's your first business(apologies if im wrong).Prepare everything,meaning,consider location,consider local competition,surrounding competition,marketplace positioning and marketing strategies(marketing budget).Financial start up cost's,monthly overheads,purchase of extra requirements:i.e gear,couches,leads,whatever is required to accomodate the business and the clients you wish to offer your services to.
It is manageable without a doubt.
But don't be fooled into believing running a commercial studio is the same as working from home.
The more often you use things,the more often you're going to need to maintain,repair and upgrade certain items.You need to determine all these factors into the equations as well as considerations of wages and money to put back into it.
As i said earlier it's definately manageable.........if you really want it.
Best of luck with the descision making!

I've now been doing this about nine years...

My advice:

-Don't rely on the studio for personal income (have a 9 to 5)
-Aim for the income that the studio generates to cover the operating expenses (if you're lucky)

This is a really hard business to be successful in. It was my main source of income for about a year. I decided it'd be smarter to work a 9 to 5 in a different area of the music industry and keep audio as my passion as opposed to my livelyhood. That really made me enjoy it again.

I told myself that once music became the "daily grind" I'd quit.

Not much of tips from me but ... before I say something half-useful, good luck with everything!

About the money, I'm not sure you should put every penny in the studio... I mean, sure, it might've worked if it was still year 2000 or something but today, it's kinda different. I think you should play it safe, don't go reckless and buy all kinds of fancy gear until you need it. I think you should just try with what you have, don't go get a Dual Rec if you already have a more than sufficient tube amp etc just because "everybody" else has a Dual Rec and stuff like that. In these days, you really should have something left to fall back on .. sadly :/

Anyway, good luck again dude!

If you need some advertisement help, like with 3D images/animations and what not, I can be of help :)

Good luck Robert ;)
I think I'll be on your same situation in a short period of time, so I'll come back to this thread to read again the suggestions the guys on the forum left you :lol:
As Erkan said, don't waste money in things you don't 100% need. Go used in good condition, instead of brand new when possible... IDK what else could I tell you...

Best of luck!
-Erik

Wow.. lot's of reactions allready, cheers guys!

I can't talk for seizure, but i know he works hard and has done a lot allready.. and i myself have some albums under the belt and am willing to go for this, 100%.. realizing at the same time though, that it IS risky, but i think there is a way to play it save as long as you can cover the expenses like rent and electricity by booking a certain amount of bands per month.. just to cover the costs first, and anything over that amount of bookings should be spend on the studio wisely as you lot pointed out rightfully, no fancy stuff but go for what works first.

I was even thinking of getting a third person involved to get more work done.. if the room allows it though, good idea? you hear about that quite a lot.. studios that have 2-3 person that bought that studio and 1-2 person(s) that actually run the studio.

So yeah, thanks for all the replies allready.. it is something we are very serious about, and it's still early, but hell.. i dont want to stand still and if we can find a decent location chances are very big that we'll go for it, i wish i could say more, but for now i thank you all and hopefully more people come in here with their point of view and advice.. cheers guys!

Oh btw.. how many of you that work in a studio do rent a studio? or did you all buy it?

Off to read Machinated's thread now about starting his studio..

No matter how much you trust Seizure, get a contract! Believe, people can go apeshit once it is all about the green.

x1,000!!!

Hopefully this doesn't happen, but if the studio starts losing money, if you get sued, you get audited...whatever...it needs to be in writing who is liable for the business. You never think of this stuff when things are going good, but when "it" hits the fan your "business partners" that were made on a hand shake won't be anywhere to be found. They'll have no issues collecting a paycheck when times are good.

Everything in writing...everything! Even using the studio for personal projects and any limitations to that.

Unfortunately, a successful business needs to be run like a business.

1) Yeah, it'll be fun - but as the guys say ; get a contract between anyone who's putting ideas and money into the project. This is a must.

2) Don't turn work down.

3) Charge by the hour, and agree on the starting time (get it in writing via email if nothing else) and if they're late.. that's not your fault. You "loan" them services and time from the second they want it, whether they use it is up to them.

4) Every project you do is a banner for your business, so treat it professionally (on and off the internet). If you start to slag bands publically (no matter how bad they are), then you will loose business.
Can you afford not to have your studio booked solid?

5) have fun.. and don't let the business ruin the friendship and love for Audio Engineering!! (P.S - Good luck).

Something i've found (not from owning a studio), but business in general- i'd always used to think that i'd try and under cut competitors prices. Instead though, the opposite can completely work- if you do charge a sizeable price, people strangely enjoy to pay it (yes marketing pyschology) and it gives you a more classy reputation in your market position. So, many ways to do it, just dont sell yerself short at all costs. Be sure where you want to target- if you sit randomly and stoner it, you'll just get owned and flop about in the middle which is useless.

Another thing to do is to book bands in on a regular basis practicing- so you use a room in the studio or two as a rehersal space constantly generating a stream of income.

While this sounds like a cool idea...

Contracts... contracts... contracts...

Running it as a business... makes sure EVERYTHING down to 'who owns what' is in there...

Other than that... good luck.

+1111111!!!!

Be PROFESSIONAL. Not only can this save your ass, but you will also be taken seriously.
Charge per hour - Im being a hypocrite saying this, as I charge on a different basis at the moment (due to still setting everything up and making a name for myself) - but already I have had bad experiences with people taking advantage of a set fee.

I also agree with getting a day job. Ive been working out of my studio for the past year or so, just in evenings and weekends. Ive finally got to the point where I feel I can leave my day job - my last day is next Thurs!! I dunno if this will apply to you as much, considering you already have a client base... Im still not going to be relying 100% on studio income - Im getting the majority of $$$$ from livesound and booking shows - livesound is a GREAT way to get some cash if youre an audio engineer!
Plus, you get to work with some big big bands, depending on where you are..