Starting a studio: Premesis

While I agree with James, I'd say the drums are a huge PITA for most people in this position. First because it's often not a financially viable option as the places you can record drums at generally ask for a hefty sum which either means you have to work for free or the band has to say "sorry, can't afford it". Second, you often have limited control over how things are done because the owner wants to have it his way even though you're supposed to be in charge. Finally, it's an inconvenience for the band to record drums at one place then transfer the files and record the rest at another, especially when the studio owner is refusing to let his tracks be mixed elsewhere. Now, I know such attitude would surprise you but unfortunately it's not as uncommon as I'd wish it were.

Oh and it doesn't look as pro when you're recording at home and while that's not the most important thing, it still matters.

While I agree with James, I'd say the drums are a huge PITA for most people in this position. First because it's often not a financially viable option as the places you can record drums at generally ask for a hefty sum which either means you have to work for free or the band has to say "sorry, can't afford it". Second, you often have limited control over how things are done because the owner wants to have it his way even though you're supposed to be in charge. Finally, it's an inconvenience for the band to record drums at one place then transfer the files and record the rest at another, especially when the studio owner is refusing to let his tracks be mixed elsewhere. Now, I know such attitude would surprise you but unfortunately it's not as uncommon as I'd wish it were.

Oh and it doesn't look as pro when you're recording at home and while that's not the most important thing, it still matters.

I can understand the whole expenses part of that. But any half decent studio that lets freelancers in should basically leave you to run your session how you want it, only being there to let you know how things are wired etc and let you take WAV/session files away on the day.

A simple phone call to the place you want to use should quickly establish if the owner is an unprofessional asshole like you describe or someone who actually wants your business.

yeah Shadow... sounds like you've had some really terrible experiences... no, a truly professional studio will not interfere with you, nor care at all where or who mixes the tracks you record there.... it is not common, this attitude, except perhaps in very unprofessional situations.

and no, i've not found that bands care at all if the drums are done in one place and the rest in another... it really doesn't matter at all.

i think you have some unusual issues/concerns regarding this scenario.... been working for me for years.

Well there's the trouble, I've recorded in "a truly professional" studio and the studio engineer was indeed very cooperative and in general it was a pleasure working there, but this comes at a cost - I had to work for free (though I should say the benefit of gaining that extra experience and the possibility to record in a room with great acoustics and a Studer console is not to be underestimated). Honestly, I wouldn't complain recording there without getting paid because it makes mixing that much easier, but most bands can't afford the studio's fee alone. Generally what's left as an option is the tiny studios (less than a 100 sq. ft.) with know-it-all owners.

Now, I can make those less than ideal recordings work somehow, but you just can't compare this way of work to having a room of your own, with suitable acoustics, where you are not pressured by time as much and where you can work on your drum recording skills as much as you like. Not to mention you are getting paid properly.

Anyway, it seems the issues I mentioned are not as global as I thought, but still having a place like Oz or Lasse has been a dream for me ever since I became interested in recording.